The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 7, 2018, 08:03 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
The 6.5 or 6.8 will kill anything the 45 caliber options will kill and do it at much longer range. With a lot less recoil and cost.
I have all those calibers in AR's--but I would have reservations about using the smaller calibers "at long ranges" in any kind of woods density. Most woods hunting I do even a clear 100 yds is a rare luxury. My opinion is that the big bores have a higher "drop em right there" factor than the smaller caliber bullets; precision of shot notwithstanding.
Old December 9, 2018, 12:13 PM   #27
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
The 6.5 or 6.8 will kill anything the 45 caliber options will kill and do it at much longer range. With a lot less recoil and cost.
Unless you live in state like Iowa, Michigan and a few others, the 6.5 and 6.8 aint killing nothing.
The longest shot I've taken at deer is under 50 yds. A 450 recoils less then my previously used 12ga slinging slugs and my 50 cal muzzle loader.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #28
ed308

Unless you live in state like Iowa, Michigan and a few others, the 6.5 and 6.8 aint killing nothing.

A few others? How about Texas, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, California, Nevada, Arizona, Maine and a lot more states. And with a lot less recoil than your 450 or 12 ga shotgun and with a lot more cash in your pocket unless you reload.

Last edited by ed308; Yesterday at 01:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #29
sevt_chevelle

That's great, but clearly you missed the point. In my home state of Iowa one can't hunt with bottleneck rounds and couldn't use a rifle period until last year. A few other states have the same laws.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #30
ed308

My apologies. I did misread your point. But it's never too late to reduce the recoil on your shoulder.