The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2018, 02:38 PM   #51
RC20

What should be noted is Fish and Game report that 50% of those who used fire arms suffered injury, bear spray, not nearly so much or bad.

Most people do not have a clue how fast bears can move. Cocked, unlocked, loaded and aimed you might get one shot off (depends on how the nerves are doing if it hits)

I do like the one report, a gun is the only lethal response. Hmm, and the goal here is? Kill something or survive to have a good day latter, maybe?

And you do not know even if you are loaded and aimed if you will kill it.

I have seen some evidence that massive trauma from a higher cap magazine be it pistol or semi auto may be effective (so fare 3 out of 3 I know of) - too small a sampling and only one was supposedly threatened though I am skeptical of that.

What we can say, sadly for the mans family, situational awareness was not in play, all parties should have had bear spray, at least one person should have been on guard.
Old December 9, 2018, 02:42 PM   #52
Don P

I hope you realized that I am being sarcastic with seat belt comment
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 9, 2018, 06:13 PM   #53
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
What should be noted is Fish and Game report that 50% of those who used fire arms suffered injury, bear spray, not nearly so much or bad.
Hmmmm... People using guns in defense were injured about 50% of the time and people who used bear spray escaped injury "most of the time." I am not sure how much their "most" is but most could be as low as 50.1% of the time.
https://above.nasa.gov/safety/docume...vs_bullets.pdf

If you have a better source of data for what the numbers actually are, I would be interested. All I could find is fact sheet #8.

Don't get me wrong here. I am a fan of pepper spray and figure it is a good tool to have. I just want to know what the actual comparative data really are as to deployment for defense.

I haven't purchased bear spray in years, but in the olden days, you had to stop and shake the can before spraying, lest you not actually spray much of the active ingredient. I don't know what spray the guys in the OP had, but if it required shaking before deployment, it would have been much less effective than if it had been properly prepared. https://survivalhax.com/blogs/surviv...-how-to-use-it
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

It's saddening to me how everyone wasn't armed. One guy had a gun, but wasn't armed.

They should have all had Glock 20s, chambered, spare mags, and with hot ammo. Most of all, the knowledge on how to properly use them.

Such a shame and what a way to go out. :/ I really think this didn't have to end as tragically as it did.

I have been chased about 3 times by wild boar here in Florida while out hunting. 2 times I had to kill them with a SIG P220 and 1 time I used a Glock 19 with Buffalo Bore +P+ along with Winchester Ranger +P+.

But those are boar....In Florida. I can't fathom those wild bears.

RIP
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #55
briandg

Quote:
I hope you realized that I am being sarcastic with seat belt comment
Yeppers, I recognized the intent.

I think that it must be said, though, that a seatbelt would have saved the guys. Either put the bear in a seat belt and strap it in tight, or put the unarmed yahoos into a seatbelt in a moving vehicle. When you have a jeep and you are bouncing down hill like beatle bailey on a donut run, a gun is more of a formality. Sort of like a tie at a board meeting, or a beer with your pizza.