The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 22, 2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Jeryray

Factory 38 loads

Recommendations on .38 factory loads for use in a revolver.
Lead?
Jacketed?
Brand?

TIA
NYS CCL Instructor
Old November 22, 2017, 01:35 PM   #2
lordvader

If you just going to plink, 38 lead 158grain RN is what I would buy. Why spend more $$. Win, Rem, Fed. is what I would use, IF I DIDN'T RELOAD. But I reload, and I reload both jacketed and lead for my 38 revolvers. I still prefer the 158 grain lead RN though for plinking. And the 158 grain SWC lead for hunting or SD.
Old November 22, 2017, 03:55 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

For what purpose? There are factory 148 grain WC target loads and +P's. WC's start at about $20 per 50. About the same for 158 grain cast SWC's. You might find commercial reloads too. Best to buy ammo locally as the shipping costs and Hazmat fees will hurt.
If you're not reloading, you must try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your revolver shoots best. The price means nothing.
It gets expensive quickly to shoot factory ammo all the time. Moreso with jacketed bullets.
Old November 22, 2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Jeryray

My goal is to get my reloads best I can.
Trying factory loads at first.

Looks like the 158 cast leads is what I will try next.
NYS CCL Instructor
Old December 8, 2017, 12:16 AM   #5
Viper225

I have one shooter running factory 38 Special in our ICORE Match. He is running Speer Lawman 158 lead round nose +P. For being rated +P they do not seem to me to hit the Pepper Poppers nearly as hard as my 158 lead reloads. My brother has been buying some Walmart Remington ammo that seems pretty mild also. I really wanted to use the word WEAK instead of MILD.

I would see if you can find a source on One Brand of 38 Special using Brass Cases, and stay with it building up your brass stock pile. If you ever plan to use Moon Clips buy Remington or Federal ammunition. Stay away from Winchester 38 Special if you ever plan on a moon clip revolver. The under cut where the Moon Clip goes is way thin on Winchester.

Bob
Old December 8, 2017, 01:32 PM   #6
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeryray
My goal is to get my reloads best I can.
Trying factory loads at first.

Looks like the 158 cast leads is what I will try next

I'm late to the party, but I recommend against lead if you're focused on speedy & efficient reloads. Lead loads are pretty dirty, and will gunk up your chambers pronto, leading to mucho frustration. Get some jacketed or plated round nose ammo with a round nose profile. Federal's American Eagle 130gr FMJ would be a decent choice.

I'd also get some snap caps (or, better, make some dummy rounds with RN bullets if you reload). Getting your reloads down takes a lot of practice to get the fine movements down. You can do a lot of that work at home for free if you've got dummy rounds.
Old December 9, 2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Don Fischer

I've never had a problem of any kind with lead in my 38's. The only jacketed bullet's I buy are 9mm and even then I practice mostly with cast bullet's. I have a 38 SWC mold but it's old and throws bullet's with whiskers. So my 38 spec mold is my 155gr Keith type HP bullet! Years past, the most accurate bullet in my 38's was always the 148gr