The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 23, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Georgian

Factory Tritium Night Sights vs XS Big Dots

Hey yall. Just got my M&P9 today, and love it. I have always shot 3-dot sights. I have carried a Glock 21C with factory night sights for several years on duty, and have never had a problem with them. Recently I have been interested in the XS sight, as the philosophy behind it seems to be geared more towards self defense situations. Besides fast sight and target acquisition, does the XS sight do anything better than the standard 3-dot sights? I have also heard the XS sight is not as precise or accurate at longer ranges (25yds and out). This isn't much of a concern for me, as 25yds is the max distance I train to employ a handgun. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Old October 2, 2014, 05:19 AM   #2
bamaranger

old man sights

Some guys I know call the Big Dots "old man sights", as one ages, your ability to focus on small items up close deteriorates. The Big Dots help with that malady.

I also know of at least one big name trainer that endorsed Big Dots on his pistols and carbines. (Bill Jeans) If you need a SD gun, you likely need it fast, and the big visible front sight helps in the speed department.

I have seen video clips of Big Dot shots way out there with a handgun.....results may vary with the user. I would think that theoretically/mathematically if you will, that smaller sights would be intrinsically more accurate but slower, though with all the variables in shooting a handgun, and a real SD/LE shoot, bigger may indeed be better, for fast and accurate enough.

I have a set of night sights on an AK clone that are similar to Big Dots, and they allow me to shoot the carbine much better and faster, than the skimpy factory sights....cause I can see'em.