The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2013, 06:27 PM   #376
BarryLee

So, why the opposition to the Veterans Gun Rights Amendment 720? I can’t really understand how anyone could deny people who have been injured in service to our Country their day in Court. Was this just a result of the anti-gun crowd wanting to stick it to someone, so they picked on injured Vets?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 17, 2013, 06:29 PM   #377
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I have to admit feeling a certain bit of schadenfreude about the whole thing.
Yes indeedy. Couldn't happen to a more deserving lot.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:34 PM   #378
Isk

It seems to me that the proper course of action, once this bill is completely destroyed, is to push as much pro-gun legislation as possible through on the federal side of things. Force the antis into playing defense for awhile. Even if it doesn't pass, if they are too busy defending, they won't be attacking.

On another note, I e-mailed Senator Begich and thanked him for his support.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:39 PM   #379
spacemanspiff

Highly doubtful they will change Begichs mind. Alaskas Democrats lean right.
So far there is one person talking about trying to take Begichs seat, Joe Miller.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:42 PM   #380
csmsss

Quote:
Obama just claimed that this is "only round one". Don't relent. Let your senators know that you appreciate their "nay" votes, and try to vote out the rest.
Oh, I think we're going to see one administrative department-level action after another from here on out.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...s-on-gun-bill/
Old April 17, 2013, 06:42 PM   #381
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
It seems to me that the proper course of action, once this bill is completely destroyed, is to push as much pro-gun legislation as possible through on the federal side of things. Force the antis into playing defense for awhile. Even if it doesn't pass, if they are too busy defending, they won't be attacking.
All we need is someone to write them (first step).
Maybe starting with the states that have no carry options for ordinary gun lovers such as ourselves
Throw that into a background check bill!
Old April 17, 2013, 06:50 PM   #382
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It seems to me that the proper course of action, once this bill is completely destroyed, is to push as much pro-gun legislation as possible through on the federal side of things.
I'm not sure on the chances of passage. Given the surly mood Biden (who presides over the Senate) and the President are in, I think we're in for a cold summer.

We held the line today. I'm not sure it was much more.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:52 PM   #383
Spats McGee
Staff

While I am certainly glad at those bills died, I am not yet ready to declare victory. I just want to save my energy for the next battle, and come the next battle will.

ETA: If your senator voted with us, please, PLEASE take a moment to send an email to thank him or her.

Last edited by Spats McGee; April 17, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:04 PM   #384
tulsamal

Quote:
However, we would do well not to underestimate Mr. Obama regardless of what you may feel about him he is an excellent Politician. We need to prepare for at least three more years of this and I’m afraid the propaganda will be endless.
That's true also but... I prefer to think about how this helps us. I'm perfectly willing to vote for an A+ rated Democrat but I get totally SICK of the ones that campaign without any party affiliation on their banners and make television commercials shooting guns. We see it all the time in OK. They form "pro-sportsman groups" and then put posters up all over town, "Sportsmen for Smith." My wife voted for Obama both times. (Don't get me started; she's Canadian....) Before the election she stood in the kitchen talking about politics and she told me gun people shouldn't be concerned about Obama being reelected.... "He hasn't done anything to your guns in his first term."

So I'm thrilled to have some of these characters "on the record" on gun votes. Line up some more for them to vote anti-gun on. Any candidate in OK who can be proven to be "pro gun control" is going to have a very hard time being elected. I suspect that is true in some other western and southern states.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 07:13 PM   #385
doofus47

Spats:
Quote:
ETA: If your senator voted with us, please, PLEASE take a moment to send an email to thank him or her.
Yeah, unfortunately, that makes my life easy....

Seriously, I'm thinking of joining the Democratic party officially so I can start attending meetings and voting in primaries. I'm going to be that guy in the back asking "Why? How will we measure this? What problem are you trying to solve?" Like a 3-year old over and over.

Sitting and waiting for the other shoe to fall every legislative session is perturbing me.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:19 PM   #386
led0321

Re: S.649: Reid's Base Gun Control Bill

Happiness is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1366244406179.jpg (51.5 KB, 66 views)
Old April 17, 2013, 07:22 PM   #387
Spats McGee
Staff

I just got done watching President Obama's remarks about these bills. I happened to notice VP Biden standing off to the side. Is it just me, or did he look like Walter?
Old April 17, 2013, 07:26 PM   #388
grizz223

Wow Spats
That really is dead on, Looks just like him. LOL!!
Old April 17, 2013, 08:35 PM   #389
Battler

Quote:
Seriously, I'm thinking of joining the Democratic party officially so I can start attending meetings and voting in primaries. I'm going to be that guy in the back asking "Why? How will we measure this? What problem are you trying to solve?" Like a 3-year old over and over.
A serious strategy - I remember once reading a guide on how to destroy (at least a small) organization by turning participants against eachother such that they stopped wanting to be involved, creating infighting, etc. Then again, I've seen bad managers do it by accident within workplaces, so it should be doable deliberately.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:16 PM   #390
JimDandy

I was puttering around and noticed the Concealed Carry reciprocity was only short 3 votes. That was a bit of a shocker. Maybe National Reciprocity isn't so far off after all.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:21 PM   #391
Mr. James

Spats,

Bwahahaha, I'm dying here! I just sent that same message to some buds - look at Walter! Separated at birth.

Folks, watch the video to see the most vile agitprop our government has ever put out. The grieving parents now reading from Obama's teleprompter about the Sandy Hook Promise. Gabby Giffords, God bless her, trotted out for the thousandth time to stand there looking grave, and nodding her head. Not sure who the other drones were. But watch Biden's repeated forehead-touching weirdness with both the mom and the dad from Newtown.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...kground_Checks

We're witnessing a presidential tantrum here. That's how debased the presidency is.

ETA: Battler, our Alinskyite president stridently suggested just that tactic upon the NRA - hunters and target shooters should gut the NRA's leadership in protest.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: political invective.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:34 PM   #392
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
We're witnessing a presidential tantrum here.
It would be amusing if it weren't so surreal. Wait a minute, it's amusing because it's so surreal.

Folks are honestly unhinged on Twitter and Facebook. Anchors on CNN are throwing the word "shame" around like confetti. They're claiming a full-court guilt press come 2014.

What we need to do is put pressure on the NRA to revise their grades in light of this. Toomey and Manchin need to be downgraded to an "F," as does anyone who supported their amendment. Including McCain.

We also need to make it clear to the general public how manipulative and dishonest they've been in their dealings with us. Collect the quotes and soundbites belittling us about "black helicopters" and such and make sure the public doesn't forget.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #393
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
We also need to make it clear to the general public how manipulative and dishonest they've been in their dealings with us. Collect the quotes and soundbites belittling us about "black helicopters" and such and make sure the public doesn't forget.
Agreed. A lot of those comments are aimed to anger us so that they can point fingers and say, "Look at those hotheads! You don't want them to have guns, do you?" The best thing to do is keep cool, remember this for next election, and actively support the campaigns that oppose them. Working the system is always better than being played by the system.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 17, 2013, 10:58 PM   #394
NWPilgrim

S.649: Reid's Base Gun Control Bill

Please, please make gun control a central campaign issue in 2014!!

These inbred politicians are so removed from the citizenry and blinded by the Beltway they actually believe the biased polls showing 90% of people support gun control. Obviously they are not reading emails or hearing phone messages from their own constituents.

Bring it on in 2014 baby!
Old April 17, 2013, 11:05 PM   #395
BarryLee

Quote:
We also need to make it clear to the general public how manipulative and dishonest they've been
So, just curious if the NRA has been running any print or broadcast ads anywhere over the last few weeks? I haven’t seen anything here in Georgia, but thought they might be running something in other States.

I know they have a lot of stuff on their WEB sites, but you have to go looking for it. I suppose there is some stuff showing up on Social Media and that may be a good thing. I guess I was just hoping to see some nice intelligent ads communicating our positions. I hate to see us lose this thing because our fellow citizens are being deceived by the anti-gun crowd.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 17, 2013, 11:20 PM   #396
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
So, just curious if the NRA has been running any print or broadcast ads anywhere over the last few weeks? I haven’t seen anything here in Georgia, but thought they might be running something in other States.
I've been wondering the same thing. I use to get emails daily, but the NRA has been unusually quiet the last 2 weeks as this all unfolded. I feel like a NRA response is in order, to counter this administration's crocodile tears & blatant abuse of the victim's families.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:12 AM   #397
Texshooter

So

I heard obama had dinner tonight with Dem Senators at a DC hotel to talk about gun control, etc.

With Reid voting "no", so as to, according to some, be able to bring this up for a vote again, what is the analysis of some of you with a little more legal insight into Congressional workings?
Old April 18, 2013, 01:42 AM   #398
Coyote Blue

Quote:
With Reid voting "no", so as to, according to some, be able to bring this up for a vote again, what is the analysis of some of you with a little more legal insight into Congressional workings?
From a rules expert on another forum:

"Under Senate rules (actually Roberts Rules of Order), only people on the "winning" side can make a motion to reconsider a vote. By voting against it, Reid is giving himself the ability to reintroduce the amendment if he can get enough votes."

As likely to happen as a heat wave in Antarctica,but Reid therefore keeps the corpse breathing.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old April 18, 2013, 06:27 AM   #399
overhead

My guess (I have been wrong about what Reid would do before) is that they will wait until after the 2014 mid-term elections to bring the issue up again. There is no need to risk making this an issue as it is not a "winner" for democrats in some states. As soon as the return from the recess after that election I imagine this might be the first thing they take up, depending on how the election turns out.

Were I a Democrat I would be pretty angry the President burned up all this "political capital" on the gun control issue. He took his leverage from the election and threw it away. Honestly, I thought he was smarter then that but he has now done it twice. Last time it was health care and it cost him his majority. We will see how the gun control push works out for him next year.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:53 AM   #400
dtaski

I live in PA and called Toomey's office yesterday. I'm embarrased that I voted for him ! I was amazed that Reid in NV voted nay. He must be worried about being relected.

The mid-terms will be key to keep these guys in check !