The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 18, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
mtnkid85

Shooting sticks vs gun mounted bipod for yotes

Well subject says it all.
Generally Im sitting down on my butt in a crazy creek chair with a large sage brush behind me. For all my target/Pdog shooting Ive used either a Harris 6-9 or 9-13" bipod while prone and done well, but for coyotes in sage brush I just need the manuverabilty and sight distance of sitting up.

So what do you guys prefer; the taller harris style bipod 13-27" or shooting sticks? Are shooting sticks as manuverable when you need to make a large transition when the coyote comes in in a unexpected spot?
Ive never used shooting sticks. Ive even thought about just bolting two pieces of wood together reall quick to see what I think of them?

Thanks,
Old October 19, 2010, 04:38 PM   #2
huntinaz

I used sticks at first which worked pretty well but I switched to a adjustable monopod. I think it offers the best maneuverability, although it isn't quite as steady as sticks or a bipod. A tall bipod may be nice if you have elevation, but I hunt a lot of flat country so I like the extra elevation of the monopod. You mentioned sage brush, elevation would help I think. Also I sit in a small metal chair for extra elevation. It helps a lot, but if you are hunting hilly country and can get all the elevation you need sitting on your rear, then either sticks or a bipod will work. Sticks are cheaper.

Quote:
Are shooting sticks as manuverable when you need to make a large transition when the coyote comes in in a unexpected spot?
Sticks may be more maneuverable than a bipod, I used sticks successfully doing this. The monopod works even better I think for this situation.

Quote:
Ive never used shooting sticks. Ive even thought about just bolting two pieces of wood together reall quick to see what I think of them?
Lots of guys do this. I made a functional set by using heavy duty rubberbands instead of bolts. I used shirt rags fastened to the poles to set the rifle on. They ain't pretty but I killed coyotes on them for sure.

Last edited by huntinaz; October 19, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old October 19, 2010, 05:00 PM   #3
davlandrum

Quote:
heavy duty rubberbands
Dang, beat me to it. the heavy rubber bungee cords work, or if you have access to an old inner tube, cut it up.

One of the hunting mags had a "DIY" thing on African style shooting sticks - tripod.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 19, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Daryl

I've used Stony Point stix, and they work alright.

I also have a Harris bi-pod that's tall enough for me to sit in a low chair and use. it works fine for such things as well.

However, it's been my experience that coyotes tend to show up from anywhere, at any time. For every one I shoot from the sticks or pod, I probably shoot 20 without them.

The Harris bi-pod is noisy if it rubs the ground or bumps a rock. If you call coyotes, you know what affect a metalic click or clank has on them.

It's easy enough to abandon the sticks and just let them fall if they aren't lined up right, but they'll make noise when they fall, and movement will give you away.

So, I've gone back to the old reliable rest that's always served me well. In a sitting position, I can shoot off of my knee, or by resting my arms on my knees nearly as accurately as a bi-pod or sticks.

And it works very well for me.

I still use the bi-pod or sticks when hunting big game in open country sometimes, but I don't take either on coyote stands.

Daryl
Old October 19, 2010, 07:38 PM   #5
shepherddogs

Check out Varmint Al's website. He has some plans for making shooting sticks. It's a very interesting site.
Old October 19, 2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Shooting sticks vs gun mounted bipod for yotes
Neither. Learn to use a sling.
Old October 19, 2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Hog Buster

In a slow moving situation shooting sticks or bipod work. In a fast moving situation they just get in the way. Same for mono-pods. Sometimes you just gotta shoot offhand.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
BIG P

POLECAT shootin stick works for me.Quick an easy.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:20 PM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
Neither. Learn to use a sling.
I'm with Scorch on this one.

Learn to shoot without the aid of sticks, practice on varmints is excellent training, if you learn and practice with the sling, without other aids.

I'll quote from the USAMU Training Manuel in dealing practice the sniper counter sniper, and it works for hunting as well.

Quote:
Time is extremely critical, therefore he can expect to be required to make shots at varying angles and distances on a split second's notice. The hunting of varmints provides outstanding training because the techniques involved are almost identical.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 19, 2010, 09:35 PM   #10
mtnkid85

Up tell now Ive been shooting off my knees and have got a few just fine with that method. Thought Id try something else though, Ive rubber banded a couple of old tent poles together to try the shooting sticks idea.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
Old October 20, 2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Daryl

You can find a heavy rubber "wrap" that's intended for wrapping a saddle horn. Ropers use them to add friction for dallying, but they work well for making shooting sticks.

You can find them at most places that sell saddles and tack.

I made a tall set of sticks for use in high, thick cover where sitting won't allow me to see anything. Standing works better, but I shoot better from that position with some sort of support. I used 1/2" metal conduit for the sticks, and painted it with some camo-colored spraypaint.

Done right, the rubber wrap allows for cushion of the gun, causing less noise in maneuvering for a shot.

When sitting, I still prefer using my knee. I've shot a lot of critters that way over the last 35 years.

Daryl
Old October 20, 2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Cowboy_mo

I've never really hunted yotes and until I was lucky enough to go to Africa in August had not used real shooting sticks.

But I can tell you I fell in love with 'homemade' shooting sticks provided by the ph. He made them out of two long hardwood sticks and they were wrapped together with pieces of inner tube. I have been looking for some hardwood dowels (about 5/8") but haven't found any yet. Btw guys most tem ropers just use pieces cut out of old innertube to wrap their saddle horns. Most of us are too cheap to spring for the stuff the saddle shops sell and "horn rubbers" are easy to replace after a big old steer rips em off.

About a year ago I bought one of the famous "sling sticks slings" and was very disappointed. It has laid in a drawer after just one trial target shooting session. They are way too flimsy.

Good luck in your trials.