The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
twins

Looking for hunting mentor in Southern Colorado

Hi all,
I'm looking for a hunting mentor in the Colorado Springs area to teach me the proper methods of hunting (what, when, how, where, etc.). I didn't grow up in a hunting family so I don't have first-hand knowledge (just from reading books/magazines). If you have the time and patience to pass down your hunting experience, please PM me.

I'm open to all types of hunting in Colorado (maybe not for rattlesnake but I'll give it a try once). I've completed the hunter safety class and have most of the gear so I just need the brains behind my hunting venture.

A little about me:
In my 40s, retired from military, shot plenty of guns/rifles but never really hunted.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old October 12, 2010, 05:50 PM   #2
davlandrum

Hopefully someone will step up. I was in your same boat back in my late 20's, wanted to get into bow hunting. Found some good folks along the way that got me going.

After you have a few years at it, turn around and do it for someone else. Makes the world go round!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 12, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
30-30remchester

I have been hunting for nearly 50 years now, mostly here in Colorado. I live about 90 miles west of you. I have hunted small game, varmits, and waterfoul but not enough to give much advise. My main intrest was big game. After a 37 year career of heavy construction, my physical limitations dont allow me to hunt like I used to. I will be glad to correspond with you and give what advise I can.
Old October 12, 2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Irish B

I live just outside the springs. I don't hunt anymore but if you need any advice just ask, although the guys around here would be a lot better for that. Remember go slow and be patient. What kinds of things are you most interested in hunting? We have bear, elk, deer, pronghorn, turkey, lion, moose you name it. I can't walk out my back door without tripping over an elf or muley. What are you looking to hunt with? Rifle, shotgun, bow, muzzleloader? Good luck!
Old October 12, 2010, 09:05 PM   #5
taylorce1

Quote:
I can't walk out my back door without tripping over an elf
Those dang garden gnomes will get you every time!

Quote:
I'm looking for a hunting mentor in the Colorado Springs area to teach me the proper methods of hunting
It is a little late to take you afield for big game this year. I can help you plan for next year. I'll help where I can but I'm still learning myself. I'm not a half bad shot and I can take care of the field dressing and the meat processing. Once in a while I get real lucky and find a nice animal to take as well.
Old October 12, 2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Irish B

Ahahaha. Yeah too bad elf season is closed for the year
Old October 13, 2010, 05:07 PM   #7
twins

Thanks all for your replies.

I'll definitely refer to you all when I have questions. I was hoping for someone to walk the woods with so I can learn first hand but I'll take any advice I can get.

I'm starting out with small game hunting (rabbit/squirrel) but haven't much luck finding a good location near C/S. Been up to Pike N/F area several times but it is sparse for small game there. Maybe I'm not looking in the right area. I'll try a couple of SWAs next to see if they're any better.

I have a friend that is letting me tag along for his Elk hunt this year so hopefully I can pick up some knowledge. Since he only hunt Elk/deer, I would like to try other small game such as pheasant, waterfowl, and turkey (spring season).

I have a bow, several rifles (no muzzleloader), and a shotgun so I'm ready to try any of the above.

Thanks again for your replies.
Old October 13, 2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Irish B

Just start coming west my way. Up to Woodland Park then up on rampart range. There are more squirls, rabbits, and coyotes you could ever want. You just have to watch out for bear, lion, and wild wolfdogs while you're up there. Bager Basin and Tarryall is a great place to hunt too. Ton of small game, turkey, and elk up there. Tons of lion and bobcat up in the rocks too. It's just past Lake George if you're driving east. We have a lot of Bald Eagle up there too so thats always fun to see.

Old November 21, 2010, 09:41 PM   #9
twins

Still haven't found a mentor but did venture along with my friend during third season elk. Some rugged mountains these elk lives in. He didn't get one but I'm just as happy not have to haul one out. Beautiful mountain ranges to hike in though. The area we hunted was south of Del Norte area.

Been to south of Lake George and east of Woodland Park (Rampart Range) a couple of times for small game but only seen Abert Squirrels. Not too many fox squirrels or rabbits in Pike NF.

Anyone have suggestions as to where fox squirrels and rabbits are a little more plentiful? Maybe east of I-25 SWAs (ie, Rocky Ford & Timpas Creek SWA)?

Also, any suggestions as to which public area is good for pheasant hunting. Found a fellow "newbie" hunter so the blind can lead the blind trying for pheasant.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:04 AM   #10
taylorce1

Try going Nort of Lake George for rabbits if you are wanting to hunt public lands. Saw a ton of cotton tail while hunting deer. Didn't see a whole lot of fox squirrles in that area though.

Pheasants are going to be tough unless you want to buy your small game walk in access. Most of the pheasant areas are private land with some of the best areas leased by hunting clubs. Especially along the Arkansas Valley, so joining a club might be your best bet.

Then there are quite a few clubs out East where you can go hunt pheasants and other upland game birds year round. Steel Fork Pheasants and Rocky Mountain Roosters come to mind for bird hunting near Colorado Springs. I have a friend that uses these places a few times each year and really enjoys it.

As far as your elk hunt goes. Elk are rarely where it is easy to carry them out. So don't worry about where you are going to shoot one as they are always hard work and worth the effort.
Old November 26, 2010, 08:49 PM   #11
MykeMc

twins, I don't know that I qualify as a mentor, but I go small game hunting and you are more than welcome to come with me. Mostly I've been hunting rabbits, but I did find a pretty decent aberts squirrel population while archery deer hunting this year. I haven't found a good place for fox squirrel anywhere close to the Springs. I do know 2 pretty good areas for turkey and one area where I hear them, but haven't been able to locate them. I just got back from rabbit hunting a few minutes ago, we got 4. I did talk to one other hunter while I was up there and he had 11, so consider that if you decide to go with me. We may not bag out, but I have a lot of fun.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:17 AM   #12
twins

MykeMC,

Thank you for the offer. I sent you a PM.

Taylorce1,

Thanks for the recommendations. Will try N. of Lake George next for small game. BTW, I enjoyed your posting of your deer hunt in GMU 511.