The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 13, 2004, 03:32 PM   #1
St.Pain

IWB Troubles for G-17

To give you an idea of my build, I am 6’5” and around 190 pounds. I currently have an old style sidearmor IWB holster for my g17. It does a pretty decent job, but I have run into two problems. First, I am a pretty skinny guy from front to back and when I kneel or go to sit down the butt prints pretty bad out the back of whatever garments I am wearing. I have no problems with the width and it seems to hold the butt in tight enough. Can anyone suggest an IWB that might help with this? Perhaps a holster with more of a cant would keep the grip from jetting straight out? The other problem is that it will dig into my kidney area. This causes it to become a bit uncomfortable during long sittings, such as at the movies. I am not sure if its being kydex or the holster design that’s causing the discomfort, but would appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Thanks for the help!
Old June 13, 2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Zundfolge

The main problem is that you are trying to conceal a firearm that's about the size of a Buick!

Best solution is to buy something smaller like a G19 (which ain't exactly tiny) or a G26 for real tiny (if you want to stick with a Glock).

If you're dead set on keeping the G17 then go with an IWB holster with an FBI cant (15 deg) and wear the gun at about 3 o'clock. I'd seriously consider a real flat holster like a VersaMax II by MiltSparks or a COM2 by Eric at HBE holsters.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old June 14, 2004, 12:12 AM   #3
St.Pain

Zundfolge,

Thank you for the reply. I would like to stay with the full size if at all possible. Not only does it balance better in my hands, but I tend to believe that the orginal design of a firearm tends to work the best. I will probably get flamed, but thats why I wouldnt own anything but a G-17, 5" 1911 in .45, P226 9mm, ect. Call me crazy *shrugs*
Old June 14, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Zundfolge

oops ... double tap
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old June 14, 2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Zundfolge

Well if you still want to CCW the G17 I'd still suggest you get a good leather holster like the Milt Sparks VM2 (or watch 6) or the HBE COM2 (although I don't think Eric makes one for the G17 ... he makes one for the G19). Get one with at least the 15deg forward cant and wear it at 3 o'clock.

I recommended the vm2/watch6/com2 style holster because they are much thinner since you have the belt clips or loops beside the gun instead of on the gun (does that make sense?) Also with a gun as large as the G17 the 2 clips of a VM2 style holster will hold it more securely.

Here's a pic of the Milt Sparks Watch 6 holster (with a G19?).

In looking at the MiltSparks page, I think I'd recommend the Watch 6 over the VM2 since it costs half what the VM2 costs.

I used to carry at 4 o'clock but had the same problem you're having with the butt printing (with smaller guns as well) and I've found that moving the gun around to 3 o'clock works much better for sitting and bending and your arm pretty well covers the gun as well.
Ayn Rand
Old June 19, 2004, 10:39 AM   #6
Eric Larsen

Id second what zuldfolge says.....IMO, the G17 isnt too big to carry...hell I carried a CZ97 for a while. Get a good IWB with more cant than normal and it will assist you in hiding your gun.......try from 3-4.30 for carry and see what carry's the best for you.
Hope this helps and shoot well..........Eric

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old July 6, 2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Parabola

Have you tried the new SideArmor 4th Gen IWB holster?
Old July 8, 2004, 04:57 PM   #8
AK103K

I carried a Glock 17 in a Blade Tech IWB with the FBI cant for a little while. I find the FBI cant works the best and is the most comfortable and concealable, regardless of gun. (I carry a Commander in a Blade Tech IWB now) When you are standing, the butt is more forward and doesnt tend to poke out the back as much when you squat or bend forward, but it still will to some extent. I find it also tends to hug your body better. When you sit down, the gun is in pretty much the same position as the straight drop is when you are standing, making it easy to get to and draw while sitting.
Old July 9, 2004, 04:05 PM   #9
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Try the G-Code IWB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00009.JPG (201.2 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00010.JPG (203.1 KB, 175 views)

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com