The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 5, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
David R. Svatos

need help with grandsons first 22

we have custody of a 10 year old grandson, and are ready to get him his first 22 there are a number of youth model rifles out there and I am not sure if one of them is any better than the others I have done a little research but would appreciate some real world opinions as to any pros or cons on any of the available models out there thanks
Old April 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Wyosmith

Look hard at the CZ Scout, and the full line of CZ bolt action 22s.
Also look at the offerings of Ruger and Savage.
If you buy a full size rifle get a wood stock. That way you can have it cut to fit him and save the piece to glue and dowel back on as he grows.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
berettaprofessor

Agree, look at the CZ bolt-actions; 452 and now 455.

But if it were me, I'd get a Marlin 60. There's just something so satisfying to a kid about sliding those rounds down the tube. And then being able to pull the trigger again and again without reloading.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Mausermolt

i would suggest a Ruger 77/22. i got one when i was 12 for christmas and i enjoy shooting that thing much more than any other rimfire. but if your looking for something a little less expensive i would try a Savage MarkII series bolt rifle. inexpensive, accurate, and reliable. ive always been a strong believer of starting out with a bolt action and open sights for a first timer. i know many people that got a ruger 10/22 with a 3X9 scope on it for a first rifle and they cant hit beans and burn alot of ammo trying.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
psyfly

For just learning safety, shooting, and mostly, learning to have fun, an inexpensive option is a Lever-action Henry H001Y youth .22.

Again, Fun would be the primary objective .

W
Old April 5, 2013, 11:39 AM   #6
mrflash

Ithaca model 49 Saddlegun

This was my first .22, given to me for Christmas '61 or '62. It is a lever action, single shot and the hammer has to be manually cocked for every shot. It's the early production with nice Walnut stock and I still have it in exc. cond. In my opinion, depending on the youngster of course, a single shot is a good choice for a starter gun. If I ever figure out how to post a pic., I will.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Doyle

I can think of no better .22 to learn on than a bolt-action. That removes the chance of a negligent discharge 2nd shot if he squeezes the trigger again after shooting an autoloader.

Also, I wouldn't do him the disservice of buying a true "kids" gun (like the little Cricket). Within a few years, his body will be big enough for a normal sized gun. What I would do is pick a bolt-action that has readily available replacement stocks. Save off the original stock for when he grows a little and pick up a cheap used stock (Ebay is full of used Savage MKII stocks) to cut down to his present size. That way, he'll be able to enjoy the rifle that Grandpa bought him for his entire life.

Last edited by Doyle; April 5, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Pahoo

Bolts + 1

Quote:
I can think of no better .22 to learn on than a bolt-action. That removes the chance of a negligent discharge 2nd shot if he squeezes the trigger again after shooting an autoloader.
I pretty much agree with this reply but keep in mind that there are just too many choices. Some better than others but only by my measure. I can only relate my experience and the last ones I bought for our classes, were Marlins and Savage single shot bolt action. Might add that single-shots are a state's requirements for our classes. For now, strictly open sights. Now, I'm guessing that your lad is physically able to handle something bigger than a youth model so don't waste your resources on them as they quickly outgrow them. ....

Again, on a personal level I have my Grandsons on 10/22, open sights. ...

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Jbotto

I'm of the bolt-action opinion for the young guys too. Ten to fifteen years ago when I was at this landmark in my life, my parents agreed to go in on my first rifle. A Marlin 981T, a tube fed bolt action. I loved that gun, but I was tall for my age so for the couple years it didn't fit me, I shot off the shooting bench or prone. Bolt actions are the great mix between fun and safe to a youngster. Plan on two stocks like a few have mentioned already, and you'll be in good shape. I also stand behind making your grandson learn to really shoot with iron sights first. It's a good skill to learn, as it (to me) is the basis for general marksmanship. Good luck and make sure you keep as .22 ammo around as possible! If he's anything like I was, he'll appreciate it!
Old April 5, 2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Tomas204

I have twin boys and I got them savage 110 bolt actions they love them JMHO go with a bolt action
Old April 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Crunchy Frog

Another vote here for the CZ Scout. I think it comes with a "single shot adapter" that fills the magazine well and allows single cartridges to be loaded into the action, but it will also accept CZ's five or ten round magazines.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #12
ChasingWhitetail91

My first gun was a Marlin .22lr in semi-auto with a magazine rather then tube fed. In my opinion i'd get him a lever action, there's something satisfying about working the lever that you don't get with a semi auto.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Strafer Gott

If money matters check out a used Winchester model 60 or 67. One screw takedown, manual cocking, accurate and light, these brought joy to alot of young partners.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:11 PM   #14
alex0535

My first rifle was a Henry .22 lever action, got it around the age of 10. They make a slightly smaller youth model as well. I did a good bit of learning with a Ruger 10/22.

Its been more than a decade and I still shoot the Henry regularly.

A light .22 bolt action would work. Good options from Savage.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:32 PM   #15
I.R.Chevy

I gotta jump on the bolt .22LR bandwagon. Safe, Cheap, Cheap to shoot.
Perfect first gun.

I saw another person in this thread mention a Ruger 10/22 and said kids with 10/22's and 3X9 optics not hitting beans. (Pretty funny) But as an "advanced shooter" you can and the amount of mods available and accessories to boot. I personally own one that is a lot of fun to shoot.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:43 PM   #16
balderclev

Single shot.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:33 PM   #17
jrothWA

What size is the grandson?

How about a Marlin M100 single shot .22LR, needs to be cocked before firing.

Or an Winchester 62A pump?

Teach him safely and he understands the responsibility of ownership.

Enjoy.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:13 PM   #18
imabmwnut

Guess my grandson got spoiled,I bought him a lever action Browning. Of course it will stay with me until his momma says he can take it home. Got to come up with something for the granddaughter though......And It's gotta be pink.....
Old April 6, 2013, 01:49 AM   #19
chris in va

Kids get bored pretty quickly with single shots and bolt actions. Have a look at the Henry Youth lever action. Racking the action coupled with 14 rounds on tap in a controled fashion makes for a good time for years to come. Mine comes with me every range trip.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:47 AM   #20
az_imuth

I received my first rifle, a Winchester lever-action, at about that age and still have it some 40+ years later. It's had a million rounds through it and has never failed me. Things were different back then and the westerns on tv were quite popular, but I think kids still like the lever .22's and I would think they are a bit safer than the semi-autos for a first rifle. Just be sure he learns to safely double-check any tube-fed rifle for stray rounds in the magazine each time he's done shooting. And most of all, kudos to you for teaching the boy to shoot and properly handle a firearm.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:53 AM   #21
mdcmn7

Re: need help with grandsons first 22

I would have to agree with the cz, but if you really want a semi

Marlin 795

It's a semiauto .22 and relatively inexpensive. The 795 is a full size rifle but still relatively small and light weight, my 7 year old handles it well. The length of pull is a bit long but he will grow into it quickly. If you get a few magazines for it just load them with a single round at first and then maybe three when he is ready. You can even get some pretty nice sights for it as well

I was a die-hard supporter of teaching with a single shot only, but part of shooting is the fun of it. Keep him safe and let him enjoy it. My boys get board too easy with single shot paper, neco wafers, ballons, golf balls, zombies, paint balls etc. If they are shooting safe and using the fundamentals have at it
Old April 6, 2013, 04:15 PM   #22
dgludwig

Quote:
Kids get bored pretty quickly with single shots and bolt actions.
I was never bored shooting a Winchester Model 67, single-shot rifle while growing up in the fifties. Maybe kids are different now or I was different then. I agree with Strafer Gott: look for a nice, used Winchester Model 67, even if money doesn't matter.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Nathan

My kids 11 & 14 now still love their Savage Cub bolt action. I keep trying to get them into the AR I built for them or interested in a 20 gauge, but ....no, they would rather shoot the 22. If money were no object, I would get their mome an adult 22 bolt action!
Old April 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #24
flashhole

If you want him to learn to shoot get him a single shot. I suggest the Steven's Favorite still made by Savage Arms. It weighs 4.5 pounds and the sights are decent.

If you want him to have fun and ignore shooting discipline get him a lever gun or a pump with a large capacity mag.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old April 6, 2013, 05:27 PM   #25
alancac98

Keystone Arms Cricket. It is a single shot that will help teach him how to shoot and the proper form. Without knowing how tall your grandson is, it may be a little short but I enjoy shooting my son's cricket and I'm 5'8" tall. I imagine that this may not be the last grandchild you will have, so it could very well serve them as well in the future. You can the buy him something better that he will like. The cricket runs anywhere from "150 - "170. Nonetheless, enjoy! I have a 4 y.o. grandson I'm raising and he's getting his first bow (Diamond Atomic) in May and will get a cricket next year.