The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 30, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Onapar

Colt Diamond back 38 spcl.

I am hoping there is a colt expert here that can help me. I just came in to the possesion of a colt diamond back 38 spcl ctg 2 1/2 inch barrel that has 357&
stamped in front of the 38 special ctg on the left side of the barrel.
I read and old thread about the same thing and every one says there is no such thing. Why would any one stamp 357& on the very end of the barrel infront of 38 special. I would not try to fire a 357 round out of it. I am also not sure a 357 round would fit.
Serial # D67**
any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:33 PM   #2
22-rimfire

I have seen a number of mis-marked Diamondbacks over the years from 357 to 22 Mag. Try to load it with 357's and see if they fit. That should answer your question. It is probably a 38spl as there were no 357 mag Diamondbacks made.

But in terms of value, many dealers like to or want to charge a premium for a mis-marked gun, I am not buying.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:40 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

How about a picture of the markings? I doubt they are factory.

Everything I have read about the Diamondback says it is .38 Special (and .22). The Diamondback is built on the light D frame, the same as used for the Detective Special, and Colt did not (AFAIK) build any .357's on that frame.

I suspect that someone reamed out the chambers to take the longer .357 cartridge and marked the gun accordingly. I have little doubt that it would stand up to .357 pressures but it would probably shoot loose pretty quickly. I strongly agree with your decision to stick to .38 Special.

Jim
Old January 31, 2013, 06:23 PM   #4
PetahW

Meet the Colt Magnum Carry, a factory stainless steel .357 made on the post-1972 DS-size (D-frame), the same size frame as the Diamondback.

They are rare, made only for one year (1998 through 1999), as a .357 Magnum/.38 Special revolver.

The first batch made carried the roll stamp, "1st Edition" on the barrel next to, "Magnum Carry".

They were issued in a Colt Custom Shop box.
SN's start with prefix SYxxxx.

Diamondbacks, however, were blued carbon steel & had a vent-ribbed bbl, and AFAIK were never factory chambered for the .357 - so I'm also of the opinion that somone most likely had it, looked at (or heard of) the .357 Magnum Carry, and did (or had done) a rechamber/remark job.

Old January 31, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I believe the Magnum Carry was made on the SF frame, which is stainless and a bit heavier than the older D frame.

Jim
Old February 1, 2013, 05:17 PM   #6
rodfac

Was the cylinder bored out to take the longer .357 Magnum round by some insane shade tree gunsmith? Swing the cylinder out and see if a .357 Mag. will fit in the chambers...if so, then someone has bored it out...not a smart thing to do in my opinion...AFAIK, all Diamondbacks were in either .22 lr or .38 Special...

I own a .22 lr Diamondback that's got a 1.610" length cylinder but I don't know if the .38 Special versions were the same length. I just measured both the cylinder and a Remington factory .357 158 gr JHP (R357M3). The cartridge measures 1.575, making just possible to rebore a .38 Special cylinder for the longer Magnum, including a recess for the rim. I suspect that's what the OP has. HTHs Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 2, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:08 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suspect the gun was modified after it left the factory.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Onapar

357&38 diamond back

I have not fired this gun and was lucky enough return it to the seller for a full refund.
I believe the input of every one who posted to this thread saved me from possible harm.
I did run across and old thread about the very same thing markings were the same so proabably done by the same person.