The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 15, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Basement-Gunsmith-Z

Chrome insert Barrel

Recently i have been working on a chrome insert barrel, primarily for mg use, but can also be used in standard rifles. By a chrome insert barrel i mean that the outer barrel is an un-rifled stainless steel tube with holes cut in it for the locking pins for the rifled chrome insert. The chrome insert fits into the barrel and locking pins are welded in place. The chrome insert does not move and is extremely strong, therefore you can have a thinner barrel; then you can have a lighter gun. I have found that these barrels will shoot more rounds and more accurately than chrome plated barrels. These barrels also have a higher heat tolerance when compared to other alternatives. I have only made 3 of them, one for a m249, one for a browning m2, and one for a mk48. So far i have shot about 1000 rounds through the mk48, 450 through the m2, and 7000 through the m249 without any problems. The chrome insert thickness varies based on caliber. They are not yet for sale, and probably won't be for another year or so when i am done testing, but they would run you about $575 to $750 depending on caliber. I designed them primarily for military use in their MGs. I'm posting this here to hear your thoughts on this idea. Would any of you be interested in this type of barrel? and if so, for what caliber and length?
Old June 15, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
iamdb

Do you have pictures?
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 15, 2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Basement-Gunsmith-Z

when i have a decent camera and my patent goes through i will.
Old June 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Jimro

Sounds like the old "barrel tension" system where a thin barrel is surrounded by a larger diameter tube and fixed to it at both ends. This allows the thin barrel to have more rigidity than it would otherwise, and have less weight than a true bull barrel.

Unlimited class bench rest shooters have been known to do this with bull barrels simply because they can't buy a barrel as thick as they desire.

I hope you have good luck with your patenting process, and anything you can do to mitigate heat in a M2 barrel would be a welcome upgrade to the old girl.

Jimro
Old June 16, 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Basement-Gunsmith-Z

it is a bit of a different process than what jimro said. The Primary purpose of this is to have the accuracy of a cold hammer forged barrel, but 1.5 times the durability of a chrome lined barrel. For the m2 i am working on a chromium tungsten alloy that will hopefully raise the barrel's heat tolerance to around 4500 degres farenheit. That will take a while, but if i can do it successfully i may have a nice contract in my future
Old June 16, 2012, 07:51 PM   #6
king9

what kind of accuracy are you getting? most of us have little interest for MG kind of accuracy
Old June 17, 2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Basement-Gunsmith-Z

In my hk417 with my chromium insert barrel I am getting around 1/2 moa.

Tags
chrome barrel.