The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 6, 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
SCDeac82

Need Advice: Sights for BPS HD 12ga.

Hello Everyone:

Gun: Browning BPS 12 HD Shotgun w/ 20" Barrel

I was thinking of having a Ghost Ring rear sight along with some type of bright front sight installed.

Frankly, I need some "hand holding" and advice as to specific sights that will work on my gun. Brands, models, etc.

I realize that the choices are fewer than for 870's and Mossbergs.

Thanks Much for your thoughts.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Scorch

Here you go, everything you need.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/guns...tsdefault.htm#
Old July 6, 2010, 01:29 PM   #3
TJH3781

Ghost Ring Sights & other adjustable sights are fine for accurate shooting at distance with slugs. A HD situation is not long range, unless your house is way bigger than mine. A front bead that can be seen in limited light is ideal for a HD shotgun. You need a sight that comes up fast & does not obscure your target.
Note that dangerous game rifles have very open sights & I consider HD as the same situation. I would see how the weapon patterns with the sights on it before making any changes to it.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:47 PM   #4
PetahW

Consider a few things:

Unless you don't mind collatteral damage, like kids & spouses, you'll need to ID your target - IOW, SOME light is gonna be needed, either ambient, room, or flash, or NO sights will be visible in pitch blackness, fiber-optic or not.

The ONLY kind of sights that operate in total darkness are the Tritium-types, etc.

Since you will hopefully have enough light (from something) to see, albeit dimly, I would posit that one of the best HD/night sights is a (renewable) 1/2" wide strip of bright white medical adhesive tape (NOT paper tape) - straight down the full length of the top of the gun, from the rear of the receiver to the front bead/muzzle.

If you test it, you will find that it WILL be seen, even with the gun held at hip level.

This is a quick/rough, and not a finish, representation of what I mean:
(same gun/room/lighting/time, both with & w/o white tape)

Last edited by PetahW; July 6, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:24 PM   #5
SCDeac82

Petah:

Cool idea with the tape.

The shotgun mounted ghost ring sight I looked through recently at a local shop really was unobtrusive.

I guess I should look at under-barrel lights also.

The Williams website is excellent, but my receiver has no "knotches" or vent rib on it, so I can't tell whether their stuff will work.

JB.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson