The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 3, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
dschild

Mosin Nagant problem

Bought my first 91/30. I refinished it. Cleaned everything inside and out. Tried to load two snap caps. First one loads into the chamber and ejects nicely. One the second one comes up, it comes up at a flat angle rather than pointed a bit up like the first. So when trying to chamber the round it seems to get stuck. A good forceful push gets it into the chamber, but it's not something I'd want to do with live rounds. I haven't tested live rounds yet. Maybe that will make a difference. But I wanted to ask on this forum if anyone else has had this issue.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2
zombieslayer

I'm no expert, but I own two Mosins. Never had any 54r snapcaps, but I've read of the same problem you're having with them. Try live rounds.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
SigP6Carry

I'm with Zombie Slayer. I use spent cases as my "snap-caps." I've read a lot of snap cap issues with Mosins.
Old March 6, 2010, 01:41 PM   #4
dschild

Problem continues

I just got back from the range. My first 15 rounds went through fine. But on the last group of 5 the last round would not load in the chamber. I think the spring is worn. I'm going to look for a replacement.
Old March 6, 2010, 02:06 PM   #5
the rifleer

its more likely the feed ramp than the spring. If worst comes to worst you can just buy a new magazine somewhere dirt cheap and that would probably fix it.
Old March 6, 2010, 10:46 PM   #6
spotter123654

i only know a few people with mosin's i would say try a live round
Old March 7, 2010, 08:57 AM   #7
ksstargazer

Clean out the magazine well - your follower is probably getting stuck. Another problem sometimes is the interrruptor is sticking. In either case, replacing the follower or interrruptor will cost you less than $10. I would start with a good cleaning (I mean a very good cleaning of these areas). I have had both of these cause this same problem in some of my mosins. Good luck.
Old March 7, 2010, 09:23 AM   #8
robmkivseries70

Carefully take the rifle out of the stock and degrease/ clean around the Interrupter. Check the screws, don't loose the trigger pin. Check function of the Interrupter while in the stock in case it is rubbing by pressing it in and releasing it.
Best,
Rob
Old March 14, 2010, 10:16 PM   #9
dschild

In the interest of reducing duplicate conversations this thread is where I will post updates:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=388434
Old March 16, 2010, 06:18 PM   #10
dschild

I know I said I was closing this thread, but this group gets so much more attention than the other one . I hope no one is offended by this cross post.

I've finished a serious cleaning of my bolt and chamber. I removed everything, soaked, steamed, oiled, and put back together. I used gunk remover and mineral spirits. The chamber was pretty dirty still. So I'm glad I did this. I got in there with q tips to make sure everything was polish.

When I reassembled the bolt it seemed to go back together "easier". Maybe it's because I've done it a few times now.

So now I still have the same original problem. But I also have a new problem of the bullet flipping up when trying to chamber a round. The backside kicks up if I load slow.

Here are two videos demonstrating the issues. The first is the round not entering the chamber. It's always the bottom round. When I go to the range I now load a dummy round first just to get around this issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuV4zMmr5TU

The second video is demonstrating the round kicking up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcP5Y9Ymr0
Old March 17, 2010, 07:05 AM   #11
ksstargazer

Your video clearly shows the problem - your interruptor is sticking.
It may be due to a bad interruptor or it may just be because of some hardened cosmoline. In either case, you need to remove it from the receiver and examine it. Interruptors are cheap (as I indicated above) if you have to replace it. My guess is that a good cleaning will take care of it.
Old March 17, 2010, 09:31 AM   #12
dschild

Thank you. And thanks to youtube.
I'll try this tonight and update the group after.
Old March 17, 2010, 09:35 AM   #13
dschild

The interrupter is very clean. I removed it and completely cleaned it out. (I confused this earlier with the extractor which I have not removed yet). This image cleared it up for me. http://www.surplusbunker.com/images/..._PARTS_KIT.JPG

So I'll try ordering a new extractor and spring to see if it helps.
Old July 6, 2010, 09:59 PM   #14
dschild

I ordered a new mag follower. That fixed it.

Tags
91/30 , chamber , mosin nagant , stuck round