The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
DavidM55

Difference between TMJ and Copper Plated?

I bought some bulk 45ACP bullets at a gun show and should've asked what I was buying but didn't. Anyway I have 200gr SWC that are either TMJ or Copper Plated...Is there a way to distinguish between the two?

I'm trying to come up with a load for either Bulleseye or Power Pistol.

Thanks
Live and Learn.
Old August 2, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Wiljen

Berrys Plated bullets are a much thinner jacket than typical TMJ designs. The winclean for example are basically an FMJ with the bottom sealed so they have no exposed lead. You could always break out the trusty dremel and cross-section one to be sure. It probably matters more in something like the 357 or 44 where higher velocities can strip plated bullets. With the 45 generally being sub-1000 fps anyway, I would suspect the same starting loads will work with either TMJ or plateds.

I like 5.2gr of bullseye or 6.5 of power pistol respectively for 200gr plated bullets in my 45s.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/
Old August 2, 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Total Metal Jacket is a jacketed bullet. These bullets have a hard, smooth exterior and some Flitz will put a mirror finish on you can see a reflection in. There is no way you could indent one with your thumbnail.

The plated bullets are much softer. The plating has a less smooth appearance. You will usually be able to indent them with a fingernail the same as you would a cast bullet. Not quite as easy, but the pure copper in the plating isn't has hard as the mild bronze alloy that bullet jackets are made from. Take a large fixed-blade knife, and you'll be able to cut into the plated bullet pretty easily, but a jacketed one will be hard to cut in half.

Load data for plated bullets is the same as for cast and swaged lead bullets. Load data for TMJ's is jacketed bullet data.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle