The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 6, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1
60's Refugee

Firing an Armi Sport Enfield

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new Armi Sport 1853 Enfield. It's .577. I intend to live fire it often.

I need a minnie ball mould for it. Looking down through the various adds I didn't see any clear best mould and none that said they were made for this weapon/ caliber. I was leaning towards a Lyman with one of those insert things for the hollow base. Didn't see anything. I like Lee too, cuz they are cheap and I don't cast enough to wear any of these out.

I'm also wondering if 60 grains of ffg is the best load.

In the past I have lubed the grooves of minnie balls. Used "Bore Butter" most often. Rolled up in a paper cartridge the bore butter doesn't get dirty or messy.

I've seen guys take the cartridge paper, wad it up, and insert it into the barrel between the load and the ball. Does this help in any way...other than starting the grass on fire? I think back in the day they just dropped the ball down the barrel without the paper and for the first shot or two the ball just slides down by itself. Maybe the paper wad helps round ball in .69 smoothbores, but I'm not sure it would help a rifled bore/minnie ball combo.

It's not so much that I'm rusty (I haven't live fired one of these in more than 20 years) but more that I suppose after all this time there might be some new tech or notions about it.

Harry
Old December 6, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

60 grains FF is the standard load.

I'm not a reenactor so I don't make cartridges and don't have paper to stuff down the barrel (I wouldn't do it anyway because of the fire hazard). I use a power flask or horn and pour the powder into a power measure. The grooves of my minies (Parker Hale mould) are lubed with SPG. I've been able to shoot 60 rounds continuously without any problems. Then again, that was near Carson City, NV, where there is no real humidity problem.
Old December 6, 2008, 11:08 AM   #3
simonkenton

I had a real nice Zouave replica, same caliber.
I tried cranking up the powder charge but it was no go. Up at 90 grains your accuracy goes bad.
Seventy grains was the most I could shoot and still have good accuracy.

Have you tried dixiegun.com for that mold. They have got to have it.
Their web site is a little tricky, call their 800 number during the week and ask, they have good customer service.
Old December 6, 2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Hawg

I've got an Armi Sport Enfield and it's a .58 caliber not .577 like the originals were. I have both a Lyman traditional mold and a Lee improved. The Lyman casts minies at .577 and the lee at .578. Both work extremely well either plain lubed or with paper cartridges. I use tea bags for cartridges. Don't even have to tear them open, just load the whole thing and they burn clean. I use 70 grs. of powder and it shoots minute of five gallon bucket at 300 yds.

Lyman traditional mold. http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/m...k+Powder+Molds

Or Lee http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/m...k+Powder+Molds

Last edited by Hawg; December 6, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old December 6, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
long rider

You know what' i tried tea bags once, instead of getting
a bullseye i got a pot of tea sorry guys had to get that
one in .
Old December 6, 2008, 07:47 PM   #6
60's Refugee

Orange Piko ffg

I think there's a problem with ramming down a loaded powder cartridge rather than pouring from a measure. I'd hate for a pre ignition to happen while I have a ramrod in the barrel. Pre ignition can happen during rapid fire. Some of you might have seen that new "Gunnie Irmy" episode about the evolution of rifles on the Military channel. During that episode Irmy is timing a guy firing an 1861 Springfield to see how many shots he can get off in 5 minutes. On the 3rd or 4th reload the powder flashes when he pours it in. Actually show'd it happening on the program! He was lucky and didn't get burnt. I think they got off 8 shots anyway, if I remember right.

Harry
Old December 6, 2008, 07:56 PM   #7
Hawg

Never had that happen but then I don't do rapid fire either. I've lubed with bore butter but it's kinda messy. I've since gone to my own beeswax crisco mix. Either one will load easily the first time or fiftieth. The weight of the ramrod alone will push the minie all the way down the bore to the last three inches or so. BTW the original Enfield load was 65 grs. of FFG. The original load for the U.S. Springfield was 65 grs. but they dropped it to 60.