The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1
BLKLABMAN

870 Tactical

I am thinking about buying a true SD shotgun. My others are pure hunting shotguns.
I came across the 870 Tactical in a gun store that I liked and would like to ask your opinions. My knowledge of all the different variants of the 870, is limited to the Wingmaster and SPS.
Is the Tactical a good purchase, or would another 870 variant be a better choice?
Is the Tactical just an Express with a pistol grip and extended magazine tube?
This shotgun will do nothing, but sit beside the bed. Maybe someday I might try 3-Gun with it.
Old June 4, 2006, 05:56 PM   #2
The Body Bagger

Get the 870 Police model and add a pistol grip w/ buttstock. The tactical is an OD Express model.
Old June 5, 2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

"I am thinking about buying a true SD shotgun. ...

This shotgun will do nothing, but sit beside the bed. Maybe someday I might try 3-Gun with it."
==========================================

Bad plan.

No company sells a shotgun that runs itself, and unless the potential operator(s) gets both training and practice... well, if that shotgun is ever needed, let's just say that things might not proceed in an optimum fashion. No matter how much you spend on accessories for your shotgun, you can't buy skill or bolt on ability to use the gun. Better by far to buy a plain jane basic shotgun and invest the savings in training and practice ammo for the operator. There are lots of good used 870s available for less than $200 ( http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1223452.html for a current example) and 870s wear in, not out. I can't recall ever buying a new one... .

I don't know where you are in TN, but one of the best fighting shotgun instructors in the country is in your home state- see http://www.guntactics.com/ . A cheap LE trade-in 870 riot gun and a class from someone like Randy Cain would create an awesome defensive shotgun indeed. It might not make for impressive look-at-my-tacticool-shotgun pictures to post on the 'net, but then it all depends on whether you're looking for "show" or "go."

Stay safe,

lpl/nc
Old June 5, 2006, 05:52 AM   #4
BLKLABMAN

Lee,
Your post got me to thinking. I have always been around shotguns, have a fondness for them, and have a nice collection for Hunting and SC, Trap etc. I never been into, or been fond of what I will term "combat shotguns". By that I mean, one designed to deal with humans, not ducks or clay targets.
The only time I have ever dealt with, or installed even an extended magazine tube on a shotgun ,was/is during snow goose season.
I have a SA 1911 and one of my waterfowl shotguns (a SBE) sitting beside the bed. That should be an indication, that I have never taken the fighting shotgun thing or the training for one seriously.
As you have stated, perhaps it is time to evaluate my thinking, on this serious matter.
Thanks for the two links. I will look into them.
Old June 6, 2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

I grew up with a pump shotgun in my hands, almost literally. I have always had a soft spot for shotguns and pumpguns in particular (especially 870s). I've been shooting shotguns (at doves, quail, deer, varmints etc) for some 40 years or more.

But the skill set and mindset involved in using a shotgun for defensive purposes is significantly different in some important areas from claygames, hunting or wingshooting. Don't get me wrong, it helps to spend trigger time in any shotgun pursuit- it all goes toward programming the computer between your ears to help you hit what you shoot at, handle the gun safely etc. But fighting with a shotgun is different from shooting a shotgun for sport, and it is good to get some training to help learn the ins and outs of defensive shotgunning. The NRA offers classes like Personal Protection in the Home ( http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp ) that are often good starting places.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc