The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 8, 2000, 11:54 AM   #1
Ruben Nasser

Hello all!! I have a Para P14-45, and is an excellent shooter, but tends to retain a lot of crud in the chamber after shooting only about 100 lead bullets. I checked its chamber, and it seems a bit rough (the ramp is very well polished), can it be the cause? Should I polish it? How? Thanks in advance!!
Old July 8, 2000, 07:52 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Ruben, you don't want to polish your chamber glass smooth like the feed ramp. But the best way to do it is to chuck the barrel in a lathe. Make a mandrel by splitting a piece of wood dowel and insert/wrap some crocus cloth around it. This polishing should be very light. If you have a drill another method would be to chuck the madrel in the drill and hold the barrel in a padded vise. I really don't care for that much but you aren't going to be removing much metal so it shouldn't affect the roundness of the chamber. George
Old July 8, 2000, 07:54 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Ruben I didn't completely answer your question. Try some different ammo first or if you handload, try WW231. Some ammo and powders burn much cleaner than others. George
Old July 8, 2000, 11:26 PM   #4
Ruben Nasser

Thanks a lot George!! I'll follow your advise, and I'll try some other powders/lubes first to see what happens.
Old July 9, 2000, 03:30 AM   #5
skeeter

George -- I polished the chamber in my Colt CCO with a Dremel tool and felt wheel with jewlers rouge. It works 100 % perfect, I did not polish it to a mirror finish but what would happen if I did? I also polished the breech face, will a mirror finish hurt here too? Thanks
Old July 9, 2000, 06:19 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Skeeter, you want areas like the feed ramp and breech face to be mirror smooth because that helps in feeding. Chambers are a little different. Don't get me wrong here. You don't want a chamber that looks like it's ready for spring plantin but a glass smooth chamber doesn't give the case anything to "grab onto" when the round is fired putting more pressure on the breech face. In 24 years I've seen only 2 .45ACP 1911s with firing pin holes peened almost shut and both had mirror smooth chambers. George
Old July 10, 2000, 04:26 PM   #7
Wallew

Geo,
Dremel makes a felt 'bullet' for their moto-tool that fits .45 acp chambers. I use a 1200 grit polish (its a white bar). I polish all chambers of police officers autos. I also polish the feedramps. Have never had one come back that I did this too. I have had two come back that I forgot to do this to. I DO NOT do this for my 'normal' cutomers unless they ask for it. Feedramp polishing for all autos that leave may shop. Takes less than a minute and is well worth the time and effort. All of my personal guns have polished chambers (HK USP's in .45) and have NEVER had a problem.
Old July 10, 2000, 10:59 PM   #8
WalterGAII

I use a felt wheel, Dremel tool, and Simichrome to polish the chambers of my Accu-Match Glock barrels. So far, several thousand rounds fired with no problems. (I'm shooting mostly .400 Cor-Bon)