The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 19, 2000, 08:27 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Okay, I hear cowboys saying they got to get them a shotgun with double exposed hammers. I like my little hammerless IGA sxs shotgun just fine thank you. Seems like when folks that have them shoot them, they end up taking more time on the clock anyway. So what's all the fuss about? What type of shotgun have you got?
Old March 19, 2000, 10:15 PM   #2
Joe West

A hammer gun just looks COWBOY!
Hammer shotguns can always hold their own in short strings of fire. Since the first 2 shots are made with the hammers staged cocked [just like the internal hammers of the so-called hammerless guns] there is no disadvantage at first. The hammer guns usually open easier and with more clearance as there is no hammer cocking spring to fight. Cocking the right side hammer immediately after clearing the gun as you move it down to load, then cocking the left side hammer after closing the action as you pick the gun up, makes the process quick. Rowdy Yates can shoot a hammer double quicker than I can a hammerless or '97. He is able to cock both hammers at once.
One of my few Cherokee Club wins was using a hammer shotgun. 3 stages had 4 or 6 shot strings for the shotgun.
I have hammer, hammerless, and '97 shotguns and shoot what ever I'm in the mood for. All can do well if I'm up to the task.
It's more a question of practice and efficient motion than gun type.
Joe West

------------------
Old March 19, 2000, 10:48 PM   #3
zip

i like the looks of the hammer guns but i havent had the chance to use one yet im useing a bounty hunter in 12ga with 26in bbl

georgia jake
sass# 2925

------------------
oneshotonekill