The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 15, 2000, 09:29 AM   #1
MakAttack

I am looking for recommended sources for the parts needed to convert my 12g 870 Wingmaster (bought used for this purpose) into a HD gun. I'll probably go with a Banded Tactical Front Sight & Ghost Ring Rear Sight from MMC, (these guys did a great job of both advising me & ultimately performing a custom installation of combat night sights on my Makarov pistol)but beyond that I have no real knowledge of where to go for other options.

For instance, I will replace the wood stock & forearm with synthetic items, I'd like to extend the magazine (this is an older, vintage 50's - 60's shotgun), install some type of ammo carrier, etc. I think I can perform most of that work myself, but am having a problem trying to determine exactly which accessories to choose & what fair pricing might be.

Can anyone here point me to a few recommended sources?

Thanks,

Mak

------------------
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
Thomas Alva Edison
Old May 15, 2000, 12:20 PM   #2
jthuang

Well, you can go hog wild with accessories or leave it stock, either way is generally good with a shotgun for HD.

Ammo carrier generally means a TacStar Sidesaddle. You can buy these at gunshows for around $20. Your Wingmaster will require a shortened fore-end to accommodate the six shell saddle, or you can buy the four shell saddle. You can get one of these from Botach Tactical at http://www.botachtactical.com

Be forewarned before you order from Botach -- call first and make sure your item is in stock. You will be very sorry if you don't call, order and then find out that your item is not in stock. I have ordered from them three times with no big problems but YMMV.

Weapon-mounted light usually means a Surefire Responder. Price is generally $180 for the standard model with $60-90 more for the parallel constant on/off switch. Try Lagger Pro (see below for link) or Maricopa Tactical at http://www.maricopatactical.com/comp..._taclights.htm

Some people like tactical slings, I prefer the standard one, as it helps in weapon retention situations. Giles/Wilderness tac slings for the 870 are a bit steep, around $50 or so. Check out Lagger Pro at http://www.lagger-pro.com

You could also get your barrel Vang Comp'd for $200 or buy a Patternmaster choke tube for around $80 to tighten up your buckshot patterns. See http://www.vangcomp.com or http://www.patternmaster.com

I'm sure there are more accessories out there but that's all I can think of at the current time.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old May 15, 2000, 02:31 PM   #3
Icopy

Lagger-pro are a great group. They even e-mail you when your items ship. It takes a day or two depending on stock. By the way, ask them about your options for a light-mount for your shotgun. Tell them how much you're willing to spend and they will give you some decent alternatives. And they don't charge for shipping. That saved me 10 bucks last time I ordered from them.

By the way, since your 870 is older, check out Wilson Combat's remington refurbishing service. For about $165 they will install sythetic stocks, reparkerize your gun, install new safety, anti-jam elevator, replace all worn parts, and a bunch of other stuff. Basically, they will make it better than new.
Old May 15, 2000, 07:12 PM   #4
JNewell

Ditto just about everything above with note or two.

Vang Comp is running a sale on both Vang choked and Vang choke & comp barrels, which means a net price of about $80 for the barrel itself -- a bargain, if your 870 has a sporting barrel and you think you might like to use it for sport. Someone -- Wiley Clapp, IIRC -- did a report on tactical shot loads and chokes about two years ago in American Rifleman and couldn't say enough good about the Vang choke.

Justin, I can't get that link to work on the Responder -- ? -- it says "under construction" and locks Nutscape. My bad?

Old May 15, 2000, 10:26 PM   #5
jthuang

John,

Their web site is in need of serious construction but their Surefire Responder prices rival even that of mighty Botach. The prices on the other Surefire stuff is not that impressive, IMHO.

Click on the site and select "hand held flashlights" and then "Surefire" -- it will give you all their Surefire products in one big list.

Justin

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old May 16, 2000, 02:48 AM   #6
Bennett Richards

Just send the weapon to Hans Vang and let him do the whole 9 yards... you could not do better anywhere...

Ben
Old May 16, 2000, 06:22 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You already HAVE an HD shotgun of enormous, magnificient capabilities. Buyacasa ammo and shoot it. Repeat that a few times and THEN decide what bellsandwhistles, fender skirts and fuzzy dice you need, vs want.

Don't get me wrong, the HD 870 here at Casa McC is accessorized like Joan Rivers. BUT, that happened after lots of training and a few thousand rounds.

A coupla things. You mention synthetic. Wood works fine, the only advantage to plastic is cosmetic, Mine wear wood, tho the worst is painted flat black.

Peep sights are very nice, especially when slugs are an option. But, a plain bead has been used for good work. I've shot a possible on the Agency course with a stock, bead sight duty 870. The course was:

Load 4 rounds, fire at 5 tombstone targets @ 15 yards, "Combat" loading the 5th round. Repeat at 25 yards. Time should be under 7 seconds per relay. Try that with a tricked Loudenboomer SP Mag and get back to me

Custom bbl work is the cherry on top, never heard a bad word about Vang and the reports are impressive. But, the money could go for ammo and lessons. A good shotgun course is not only excellent training, but great for morale.

BTW, the least expensive bbl mod is lengthening the forcing cone, perhaps the most crucial. I'd go with that,and leave the back boring for later, if at all.Chokes and choke tubes are not crucial in a HD tool.

A Flexitab conversion on older 870s will eliminate the possibility of one kind of jam.
And, there's hardly any other kind with the 870.

An extended mag tube has several advantages besides mo' beans in the wheel. The weight aids control(a riot 870 weighing 6lbs, 10 oz kills at one end and cripples at t'other with heavy loads), and the clamping to the bbl, when done correctly, can cut slug group size in half.

If your 870 has a decent slap trigger,most do, no further trigger work is needed until you do slugs. My HD and deer 870s have triggers of 3-4 lbs,and clean if not crisp. If it's much over 5 lbs, get a QUALIFIED smith to reduce it.

Hope this helps....

Old May 17, 2000, 05:48 PM   #8
chris k

check these out and decide for yourself, like was said above, you already have a great weapon, anything else you want is bells and whistles and not truely needed. but again that is yours to decide. http://www.scattergun.com
Old May 17, 2000, 07:00 PM   #9
JNewell

Dave, I keep alot of ammo on hand (as much as the fire regs permit), but really...a whole casa of ammo??? <ggg>

BTW, serious Q -- how easy is it to do the flexitab conversion? The PM I recently got on a trade has it, but I'm wondering about conversions of others.

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited May 17, 2000).]
Old May 18, 2000, 05:41 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

J, a friend is a smith who did two Flexitabs for me, cost was around $25 in 1990 and time was about 10 minutes each. If the shell carrier is slotted, you already have it.