The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2002, 05:22 AM   #1
Rob96

Mounted Lights?

How necessary is it to have a light mounted to your home defense shotgun? Besides the Surefire forearm light system what other alternatives are there? Is there a system that is cheaper than the forearm system but still gives good performance?
Old February 13, 2002, 08:59 AM   #2
9mmMike

Rob96,
I do not know how necessary they are but here is a nice alternative to the replacement pump handle.
http://sidearmor.net/
Look under shotgun accessories.
I bought one of these for a friend and he liked it so much that I bought one for me. This company is A-1. You would be hard-pressed to find any vendor of higher caliber.
I have not been able to afford a light yet though! Soon....
I am hoping to take a SG class soon and one of the requirements for this class is to have a mounted light.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old February 13, 2002, 09:25 AM   #3
Coronach

The issue is this:

1. If this is a defensive gun, you NEED to obey Rule 4. No exceptions.

2. Using a flashlight that is not integral to a two-handed weapon is a bit of a chore. Doable, but not easily without practice.

The old cruiser guns we use had no forearm light, but someone here posted a technique of how to use a surefire flashlight with basepad switch relatively easily (hold it thus, squeeze to light), and I have gone on a few semi-exciting runs using that ad hoc solution with success.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 13, 2002, 12:15 PM   #4
KSFreeman

Rule #4!

I don't know if necessary is the correct adjective; how about "Highly Advisable"?

Mike's right in that you can use a torch independent of the weapon, but 1. it takes technique and practice, 2. the pig gets heavy (this is why it's important to work out with your weapon).
Old February 13, 2002, 12:56 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Even "highly trained" LEOs occaisionaly shoot somebody when they were just trying to shine the light on em.

No thanks.

Sam
Old February 13, 2002, 10:21 PM   #6
Uncle Red

I don't know about you guys, but I can't afford that kind of money for a special purpose light that will just sit on a SG. so, my low cast solution was to buy a Streamlight Jr. 2AA flash light and mount it to the BBl of my Moss M500 using a Barrel/Mag clamp. $15 for the flash light, $7 for the clamp. It ain't as pretty as the lights that cost two left arms, but it dose a hell of a job from 7 - 21 feet! And the money I saved, you ask? Christmas gifts for my three boys and a couple extra boxes of shells for Dad. -UR.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"--Amendment II, Bill of Rights

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."--Thomas Paine

www.quietfire.com/motherstouch
Old February 14, 2002, 11:10 AM   #7
C.R.Sam

Erick......I think that sometime in the last few months there was such an incident discussed at length on either general or legal.

Additional NDs while sweeping with no harm to people.

I can't find them tho.

Regards, Sam
Old February 14, 2002, 12:13 PM   #8
DMK

I bought one of these Underwater Kinetics 4AA lights (in tactical black of course) for $16 from www.brightguy.com to clamp to the mag tube on my Mossberg.

These lights are very tough and much brighter than my big 2D Maglight. (They also have a much smaller 2AA light with batteries side by side that is small enough carry on your keychain)

The only problem I've got is figuring out a momentary on/off switch.

Old February 14, 2002, 12:50 PM   #9
KSFreeman

Sam, Rule #4 does you no good without Rules #2 and #3!!!

I, unlike the Selous Scouts among us here at TFL, need light to see. If I cannot see, I may violated #2 or #4. Meanwhile, my finger be straight.

LEOs having NDs does not surprise me, but I ain't them anymore.
Old February 14, 2002, 03:26 PM   #10
C.R.Sam

I no longer do offensive work. In defense of my own place, I just turn the lights on. If the power is off, they come on anyway.

Different scenarios.

Sam
Old February 14, 2002, 03:45 PM   #11
KSFreeman

Sam, the only offense I do is my biting, brilliant sarcasm. Well, that and my face (perfect face for the ErrorNet).

Even so, my house, the Fashionable Bachelor Pad, is not a free-fire zone. I've worked cases of the gas man, the drunk 15 year old neighbor girl, Fed Ex dude, friend of the former occupant, family member who has wrong address come into the house where it's dark. You need to separate the sheep and goats before you do something really dumb like use your weapon.

Turning on your lights may lead to backlighting. As wise man in Tejas say, "and there you are perfectly backlit, full-value numbn***."

Besides who sez that your lights will work and you do not have to go to them. Wise man in Tejas, "we learn tactics not because we want to use them, but because we may have to." I'm all for hunkering down and waiting for Problem #2, but there are no guarantees. That's why I like a light.