The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 2, 2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Jimmy96a1

How hard is it to conceal a full size handgun IWB?

Is it really that hard? Or is it more people dont want to wear jeans 1 size bigger? All personal preferance?
Old October 2, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Jen-from-IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy96a1 View Post
Is it really that hard? Or is it more people dont want to wear jeans 1 size bigger? All personal preferance?
I would guess it depends on your frame, your clothing options and your holster. Me being female, its doubtful I will carry a full size model. I'm not a small woman, but certain clothing options just wouldn't work with a full size (you won't be wearing skirts, so you don't have to worry about that - hehehe). I guess really its host you are comfortable with and are able to conceal properly.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
CPO15

I find it pretty comfortable, but it took several fits and starts to warm up to: the position matters a lot and leather is way more comfortable than kydex, although a kydex shell on leather mounting works well too. I haven't tried it, but it seems AIWB wouldn't work well if you ever had to sit. For me, a 1911 at 3:30 - 4:00 is rather nice. Cover garment, no tuck.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4
MountainDrew

I have been carrying a kahr cw9 Iwb for about two years, but only recently started carrying a Glock 23. If you are talking about the difference between carrying a compact and a full size gun, I have found it a non issue. I am 6' and about 185, and I have no problem. I carry iwb at 4:00 and loosely tuck my shirt around the gun, blouse my shirt out a bit and forget about it. it is easy enough. FYI, I do get my pants in a size larger, so if I am not carrying there, I just cinch my belt up a notch.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
TXAZ

I have seen a good sized guy (6'+, 250) IWB a Full sized Desert Eagle. Not that noticeable till he pulled it out then the previous 'bulge' was a little more obvious. Business casual dress, 6 o'clock carry.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 2, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
madmo44mag

I can conceal a full size 1911 but in a few hours the weight starting getting to me.
I'm a good sized guy so I can hid a gun pretty easy.
Old October 2, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
peacefulgary

I've did it for years (CZ 75B, Glock 22, Ruger GP100 4", 1911, XD 45 Tactical, to name a few).
And I've tried a ton of belts, rigs, and holsters.
I've worn baggy clothes, untucked shirts, vests and cover garments that practically yelled "guy with a gun here!".
But no matter what, it was never truly comfortable, and certainly far from convenient.
The best place I found to carry a full-sized handgun was in the small of the back, which has quite a few drawbacks for self defense carry.
After years of battling the situation, I threw in the towel.
Now I carry a pocket pistol.

Every now and then I will carry my GP100.
Old October 2, 2013, 01:00 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

My cardiologist was on me to loose weight so I was happy when I went down a jean size . . . now I'd hate to have the next size up so I could carry a full size.

I tried my SR9 (not as big as a 45 for sure) and I didn't care for it - was too uncomfortable. I am primarily a "wheel gun" lover - tried a couple of 4" models - didn't like them either. For me, the weight was one thing as they got to be heavy after a while. I know a lot of folks can carry with it tucked in side the belt/waistband - it just doesn't appeal to me. I ended up going with a LCR onthe belt and now have a Smith 36 J frame that I really like. I just keep a jacket or a shirt with the tail out over it.

I have know those who carry a full size 1911 IWB - thats what they are used to and they dont seem to mind it. They seem to be able to carry it off without printing. Just not my cup of tea.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 2, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Rattlehead

It's definitely possible, and the difference in waist size depends on what you're carrying and what kind of holster. E.g., a 1911 in a Raven Phantom (IWB) doesn't cause any shift as both pistol and holster are thin enough to slide in easily. Moving up to a Glock (thicker than the 1911) w/ a SuperTuck (also thicker than the Raven), and I'm reaching for a different pair of pants.

(Honestly if we're talking about full/compact/subcompact in the same frame, you're going to experience the same "waistline" shift... a Glock 26 is just as thick as a 34. You may encounter other considerations with a fullsize, but your waistband will stay the same with the same series. Going to a thin pistol - even a fullsize Kahr - will have a much more dramatic effect on your waitband.)
Old October 2, 2013, 01:43 PM   #10
JERRYS.

the longer bbl poking your hip and the longer grip printing or digging into your side when you sit are the common issues some folks have.

body build, holster build, and most importantly position of the rig will all effect this. your attire for ccw is without question.
Old October 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Corrections Cop

I think its pretty easy, I IWB a Sig P226 a lot. I use a leather holster with the belt clip, and when I put a little FBI cant on it and I'm good to go. Just get a good leather belt. I don't wear overly large clothes, I do like loose shirts so that helps. Its all personal preference. My full size is usually my spring, fall, and winter gun. But sometimes I wear it IWB in the summer. I have PPKS for the summer.
Old October 2, 2013, 03:51 PM   #12
BigJimP

Its easy - with a good belt and a good horsehide holster IWB - with a full sized 1911 ( 5", steel gun )....

I prefer Kramer leather holsters...

AT 6'5" and 290 lbs....it might be easier for me than others...but it just depends on what your outer garment is... a vest, a windbreaker, a sport coat, a large shirt....all make it pretty easy...
Old October 2, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

It's not that difficult if you have a decen belt and a proper holster. Depending on your wardrobe and the weather, it can be done both IWB and OWB. I'm one of those old guys who wears a sportscoat almost everywhere, and can carry a full-sized steel pistol OWB under it, and a spare magazine on the opposite side. (Both in case I need it, and to help balance the load.)
Old October 2, 2013, 06:12 PM   #14
AK103K

Ive been doing it 18/7/365 for about 35 years now, and find it to be the most comfortable and concealable way to wear a gun.

Ive done it fat and skinny, and never really changed how I dressed. I wear the same size pants I would normally wear, a tee shirt, and usually an untucked shirt or sweatshirt/fleece, depending on the time of year. Ive even carried a Colt Commander and a double reload under a tucked in oxford dress shirt for awhile when I had to dress up (doing that was far more uncomfortable than wearing the gun ever was ).

As others have said, get a good belt and holster, find your "spot", and give it a good chance (it doesnt take long), and you soon wont know its there.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:43 PM   #15
dajowi

It isn't hard to conceal a full size handgun in a IWB holster. It comes down to how much discomfiture you're willing to endure while you're standing, walking, sitting, running, jumping, skipping, hopping, etc. etc. etc.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:52 PM   #16
stu925

I carried a Ruger P90 for a few years and then upgraded to a Kimber Pro CDP II. The size of both is a non issue for me, it's the weight that gets to me, I'm now about 50/50 between the Kimber and an S&W M36, looking into a pocket gun for the nicer weather in summer, that'll probably be either a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard.

Stu
Old October 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #17
RBid

I have an easy time with it. Contributing factors for me are:

- body type: 6'2", 185 pounds, small waist

- Glock 19 Gen 4

- 3:30-4:00 IWB

- Galco King Tuk (hybrid holster)

- BaldeTech Looper gun belt when needed

- to help kill the print, I wear a wife beater made of thick material underneath my shirt. Beaters breathe very well, so it's very comfortable all year long. This gives me two layers, and the layers slide across each other easily when I move around. That helps prevent 'shelf' prints.

This works all year, in everything from shorts to winter clothing.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:33 PM   #18
tony pasley

It is easy to do I have been doing it 40+ years. right clothes, right belt, right holster.
Old October 4, 2013, 03:22 PM   #19
LarryFlew

Weight would get to me fast but with IWB I could conceal my Desert Eagle (tried it this morning :-) but it won't make my rotation in the near future.
Old October 4, 2013, 06:08 PM   #20
rodfac

In my opinion, IWB is a royal PITA...for me, it's a size larger in jeans, a larger belt...I much prefer to tailor my shirt or jacket length to prevent "printing". I've used several Galco's over the years, and found them all uncomfortable, and sweat from my upper body did no good for some of my blued-steel-beauties. My draw from an IWB also resulted in "covering" a portion of my body I'd rather not have ventilated with a 230 gr .45 slug.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #21
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
In my opinion, IWB is a royal PITA...for me, it's a size larger in jeans, a larger belt...I much prefer to tailor my shirt or jacket length to prevent "printing". I've used several Galco's over the years, and found them all uncomfortable, and sweat from my upper body did no good for some of my blued-steel-beauties. My draw from an IWB also resulted in "covering" a portion of my body I'd rather not have ventilated with a 230 gr .45 slug.

HTH's Rod
Please, tell me you weren't doing the Hollywood behind the hip cross draw IWB... That is the only way I can see self muzzling through the draw, unless you're in a horse stance.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:57 AM   #22
AK103K

Quote:
n my opinion, IWB is a royal PITA...for me, it's a size larger in jeans, a larger belt...I much prefer to tailor my shirt or jacket length to prevent "printing". I've used several Galco's over the years, and found them all uncomfortable, and sweat from my upper body did no good for some of my blued-steel-beauties.
I wear my normal pant (and belt size), and find it works better than sizing up. There is initial snugness when the gun is first inserted, but the fabric quickly gives and everything feels natural and comfortable. That slight snugness really helps hold the gun/holster in place and eliminates the excess slop and holster movement you get with oversize pants.

Besides the "slop", from my experience, sizing up offers two other major negatives. One, your pants dont fit when the gun isnt present, and two, your pants look like they dont fit. The waist isnt the only thing that increases in size when you go up. Proportionally, everything looks off.

Holster wise, I had the same sweat issues as you with the Galco's, and a number of others. Comfort usually wasnt an issue as long as the holster wasnt against bare skin. If you sweat, especially if youre active, leather is a poor choice for an IWB holster. Luckily, they came up with kydex, and the problem was solved. No more rusty guns and rubbed raw skin.

Quote:
My draw from an IWB also resulted in "covering" a portion of my body I'd rather not have ventilated with a 230 gr .45 slug.
Im assuming youre referring to the "appendix" position here. Not my favorite either, but more for comfort reasons than for shooting myself reasons. I suppose if you were seated it could be an issue. Then again, it can be an issue with a number of other holster choices, IWB, OWB, and a few other methods of carry. Practicing proper draw techniques pretty much eliminates the issue with any of them.
Old October 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #23
jr24

I can pretty easily if I wear anything heavier than a regular T-shirt. I always carry IWB and never have had to "size up" my jeans. A good holster and belt are key.

My .. erm.. stature dictates that I carry at 3 o'clock or just in front of that, hides the grip along my gut.
Old October 5, 2013, 04:26 PM   #24
pete2

Very easy to conceal a 1911 IWB but hurts me. I carry a 642 IWB some times but prefer in a pocket.
Old October 5, 2013, 07:10 PM   #25
rodfac

Rb and Ak, each to his own...I wear a strong side OWB holster in the 3 to 4 o'clock position for the most part. The same place where I tried an IWB. Any other position would take 50+ years of carry experience to overcome...and yeah, I know it's just a training issue. As to the comment on "covering" a portion of my anatomy....any re-holster...any...demands care and and slow movements. All that said, I can't accomplish that with any IWB I've tried...just not worth it to me...to take that risk. Maybe a guy with a string bean body type or snake hips can accomplish the re-holster, but it's not my cupa tea! Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.