The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Rigmarol

CAS - Looking for suggestions BP rifle

I've been shooting CAS for about two years now. I started off with smokeless and want to explore BP.

I have two nice Colt Dragoons that I've just had converted to Cartridge with Kirst Konverters. Now I'm looking for a suggested lever rifle. I currently have two Winchester 94s in .38/.357 and a nice Marlin Cowboy in .45colt.

I want to stay with .45colt to simplify ammo. But I'm not so sure about shooting both smokeless and BP in my nice Marlin. It's really a sweetheart of a rifle.

I'm willing to buy a rifle dedicated to BP only and would love to go with something period correct to match the Dragoons.

Please share your suggestions and experience specific to CAS if you can.

Thanks.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Scorch

Uberti makes a fine replica of the Winchester 1973, both rifle and carbine, that is available in 45 Colt.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:59 PM   #3
denster

For black powder 44/40 is the best caliber. Reason being is that the bottle neck case seals the chamber well and all the fouling is in the barrel. With the straight wall cases you get blowback into the action requiring a takedown to clean. A real PIA with a 92 or Marlin.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Rigmarol

Quote:
Uberti makes a fine replica of the Winchester 1973
Scorch, this is a good contender. It's on the list of possibles. Thanks.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Rigmarol

Quote:
For black powder 44/40 is the best caliber. Reason being is that the bottle neck case seals the chamber well and all the fouling is in the barrel. With the straight wall cases you get blowback into the action requiring a takedown to clean. A real PIA with a 92 or Marlin.
I'm not going to rule out the 44/40 cartridge. But I'm not leaning towards it either at this time. I understand what you say and I can't argue with you a bit about it, I'm just resistant to adding another caliber to the weekly reload list. I already reload .38spl and .357 for the wife to shoot as well as well as .45Colt for myself. If I can keep with the .45colt I would be happier I think. But I'm not ruling it out.

I'm leaning right now towards Henry's Big boy in .45Colt. I like that it's made in USA. But a '73 would sure be nice too.

Keep it coming, and some experiences with CAS BP rifle would be nice to hear about as well.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
arcticap

Rossi 45 lc lever action rifle

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480305

There's some on Guns America including this 16" stainless:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/997252442...45COLT_NEW.htm
Old December 19, 2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Hawg

The Big Boy Probably wont run many trouble free stages and is very heavy. My first choice would be the Uberti 73. Second would be the Rossi 92. I second the 44-40 as the better bp cartridge.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Rigmarol

Quote:
The Big Boy Probably wont run many trouble free stages and is very heavy. My first choice would be the Uberti 73. Second would be the Rossi 92. I second the 44-40 as the better bp cartridge.
Why wouldn't the Big Boy run? Tolerances too tight?

I'm beginning to lean a bit more towards the '73, would love to hear from CAS shooters on reliability...

My focus is to try matching up my dragoons with a rifle that would have "likely" or even "possibly" benn used together. I don't really like the idea of using my Marlin for example.

I prefer the ability to use .45Colt in the Dragoon conversions and the rifle but will be looking more into 44/40 as a possibility.

The '73 would look best with the Dragoons I'm thinking so far, I just don't know how well they do in the matches.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:56 PM   #9
MJN77

An 1860 Henry or 1866 Winchester would go with the Dragoons too.
Old December 20, 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
denster

The 1873 and for that matter the 1866 are the most reliable you will find for running fast. This is due to the way the action functions. As long as your cartridge OAL is within tolerance I don't think it is possible to jam one up. At least I've never been able to.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
unknwn

For something that will have to be dismantled for cleaning, a '73 is your best option. You only need to drive one pin loose to get the bolt out, and that frees up the barrel/chamber front to rear for proper cleaning.
You should be careful if considering any used '73 or a '66 though. There was a safety upgrade made to the bolt retaining assembly that will cost a couple of hundred dollars to perform if you end up with an earlier rendition.
Instead of JUST a pin driven through the bolt and firing pin extension to hold it all together a sort-of wedge shaped piece was added to the parts group that makes it almost impossible to have that extension come free and plant itself in your face.
Forget about the '94 for BP, it's just too complicated to allow for repititious dismantling for cleaning, the same can be said for the '92 (although not QUITE so). If you end up considering the '66, you really need to look into retro-fitting a lever-closed safety mechanism. They didn't come with them, and I don't know if any of the manufacturers ever fitted one down the road.
DON'T let anyone talk you into a Chapperal branded cowboy rifle of any vintage, you have been warned.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Rigmarol

Ok, getting some good info guys, thanks.

I'm paying very close attention.