The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
bartmessina

Autocomp & 135 grain bullets

Have looked at everything I can find on the Autocomp powder but can"t find anything on a 135 grain FMJ 9mm bullet. I have had these bullets for years & need to load them. Please can anyone help with the powder.

Thanks
Old August 15, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Welcome to the forum.

I am unaware of any published information on that powder and that bullet weight. Based on the data for other bullet weights, and assuming the 135 gr. FMJ is 0.625" long and seated to 1.135" COL, it looks like the ballpark starting load will be 4.3 grains and the maximum about 4.8 grains. This is all mathematical conjecture on my part and cannot be vouchsafed by any practical experience with it. If you have a chronograph and those two produce roughly 940 and 1035 fps, respectively from a 4" barrel, then you'll know they were close.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 15, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Loader9

I'd suggest going to the Hodgdon website and using the data for the 147 gr bullets. I assume these are the Zero FMJ bullets. While a decent bullet, the weight is not an ideal one for the 9mm. But since you have them and want to shoot them, I assume as pllinkers, use the 147 gr data and be a happy shooter.
Old August 15, 2010, 10:42 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I use 135 grain cast bullets in 9mm (I don't know why that bullet weight isn't more popular) but I use a max load of Bullseye instead of Autocomp.