The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
djdasher

.380 Case Bulge

Hello all,

Some time ago, I decided to reload for my .380. My completed rounds almost always showed a slight bulge, as if the bullet was too big for the sized case. A competitive shooter-friend told me that the slight bulge was only cosmetic and that the rounds were perfectly safe to shoot. I can say that I never had a problem with the rounds, although it would be nice to do without the bulge.

Has anyone had the same experience? If so, is there a solution?

Thanks,

DJ
Old April 16, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
RidgwayCO

That bulge is evidence that your sizer die is indeed squeezing the case down to well below bullet diameter. This ensures a tight case-to-bullet friction-fit so that the bullet isn't seated any deeper in the case when it hits the feed ramp on its way to the chamber. You REALLY don't want that to happen, as the increased pressure resulting from the now too-short round could ruin your whole day... Remember, your "taper crimp" die is really just taking the bell out of the case. It adds little to nothing in securing the bullet inside the case.

Cosmetically imperfect? Perhaps... but I just take it as visual confirmation that the round will perform as I expect.