The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1
ThatGunGuy

New Sights For The PT-145

anyone know of better sights that i can put on my pt145. the stock one seem to make me shoot low. or maybe its just the gun?
Old October 4, 2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Hornett

Trijicon makes the screwed on front sight models if you want night sights.

If you have the newest model with the dovetail front sight then these guys have sights, but they are sort of pricey
Tool Tech Gunsight

In case you didn't know...If you are using a 6 o'clock hold with the heinie sights it will shoot low. The top dot is supposed to cover the target with these type of sights.
Old October 4, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3
cdouglasgrant

Night sights for the Taurus PT145, 24/7, and 1911.

Mr. Heinie disigned and makes the sights for the Taurus guns with Heinie sights. He also makes Night Sights with the Tritium "Dots" in the "Figure Eight" (Dot over Dot) and the "3D" (One Dot on the front and 2 Dots on the rear) versions for the 1911, 24/7, and the PT145 style guns.

The first website below is the page that shows the sights for all three styles.

https://www.heinie.com/cart/index.ph...fcf09b42acbf88

The second website if the statement and links about sending only your slide and he will install the sights for you. You can also purchase the sights and have your favorite gunsmith install them.

http://www.heinie.com/workperformed.php

I saw a bumper sticker that said:

"Guns don't kill people - Postal Workers kill people"

I am a Postal worker myself, but I still think it was funny.

Doug
Old October 4, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4
ThatGunGuy

which sight are better? straight 8 or the heinie?
Old October 4, 2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Qwiks draw

Have one suggestion. Go to www.taurusarmed.net and go to the Smithing board. While at that board, type in gun sights into the search tab at the top of the page. Everything related to alternate sights or anything related, including specs for the dovetail will be in the threads that show up. There are also some threads that have alternate brands of sights available. Even a how to do it thread by Cimarron.

Or ask the members there in the Smithing or Millennium Pro boards. There are several inhouse gunsmiths there.

I can PM you some links from that forum ,but the number of links is 11.
Old October 5, 2007, 02:41 PM   #6
cdouglasgrant

"Figure Eight" or "3D"?

Mr. Heinie says the "Figure Eight" will give you a faster draw to shoot time than the "3Dot." They have done a lot of research with pro shooters and the results were that the Figure eight is faster. Of course, you are always supposed to be looking at the front sight when you draw. You can see the target in your peripheral vision while you bring the rear sight to position.

Now, does that mean the Figure Eight is better? That all depends on you and how you carry, and the most important factor of all; have you practiced drawing to the shooting position (unloaded) enough that in a panic situation your sub-conscience remembers that you are carrying and allows you to draw instead of freezing? After you have gotten proficient at drawing "to" shoot, then you need to go to the range and draw "and" shoot. Please don't shoot yourself. Don't load the gun until you have gotten where you can draw "to" shoot without thinking, and without putting your finger on the trigger until in the shooting position.

Myself, I would like to have the "3D" night sights installed with a green Tritium dot (the brightest) for the front sight, and yellow Tritium dots (the next brightest) for the rear sight. I also have a laser to mount to the rail on the PT145 if I don't mind letting everyone know where I am. In the dark the night sights let you know where the gun is, and the laser shows the target where you are.

Doug
Old October 5, 2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Qwiks draw

This might help.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2654.0
Old October 10, 2007, 12:05 PM   #8
cdouglasgrant

Heinie sights with the tritium dots

I asked Mr. Heinie about the yellow tritium rear sights for the PT145. He said they only use the green sights. The green is the brightest of the tritium sights, but I would like the contrast when lining up the sights for night shooting. The yellow and the green have the same "half life" of 12 years, but the yellow is a little less bright. The orange sights are not as bright as the yellow, and have a "half life" of 8 years. If I can't get the yellow I would rather have all green. I think the figure 8 sights might be a little easier to line up than the 3D, but without trying them both in the dark I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which one is the best.