The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 9, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
TCman

choke and load for turkey?

I am shooting an 870 with a primos tight wad ported choke. Do you have an idea on what load will perform the best on turkey this spring? Also, I would like to shool 45 or 50 yards.
Old April 10, 2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Twycross

It all depends on your barrel. Each one patterns loads differently. The load that produces perfect patterns in my gun may not shoot well at all out of yours. You could probably get by with just about any dedicated turkey loads, but the smart thing to do would be to buy various loads, and test them out.

Right now I'm using Winchester XX magnum 2 oz #5. A friend of mine uses a Federal load. It's all about what your particular weapon likes.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:03 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

I dunno; I got my first turkey of the season last evening with Federal Premium # 4 shot, 3.0" mag, with an X-full choke out of an NEF Excel Auto 5. But it was only 21 yards away. I just wouldn't try shooting a turkey past 35 yds or so, even though it probably would work fine. I'd be too afraid I'd not get a good hit, and since they're usually pretty easy to call in closer with a little patience & some decoys, I just wait until they get under 25 yards or so, then shoot at the first clear opportunity. If I thought the turkey was gonna turn and walk away, I'd try a shot out to abot 35 yards, but probably no further. However, with modern heavy loads & chokes, I'm probably being too conservative. I think Twycross speaks wisely - if you've patterned your barrel at the range in question with this or that particular load, then you will know whether you have enough density (and accuracy) at the range to get about 8-11 pellets on the head & neck area, which in turn will give you around 3 pellets directly hitting the CNS, giving you a floppin' turkey, not a flyin' one.
Old April 12, 2006, 09:25 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Here

Here's that turkey I got on Sunday the 9th - 9" beard, 18 lbs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey2.JPG (134.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg turkey1.JPG (82.6 KB, 19 views)
Old April 12, 2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Hello123

Hevi-shot is the best at this point. Don't over choke it though, or it will blow the pattern.
Old April 12, 2006, 10:59 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

full or extra full choke with #5 or 4 shot. would also go with a 3" mag over 2 3/4 anyday.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green