The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2014, 06:24 PM   #1
gilfo

Getting out of Dodge case

I was hoping for some suggestions on a case of some kind to carry all my ammo if I have to evacuate. I'm think of a duffle bag for my long guns and handguns, but stuck on how to carry all the ammo. I'll be taking differect calibers for the various guns. I'm thinking it must have wheels for the weight. Anybody put one together I'd love to see photos or desriptions.

Thanks
Old October 1, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2
wogpotter

It would need wheels for me.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 2, 2014, 08:44 AM   #3
boondocker385

My big "got to go" ammo containers are oak and metal chests that used to hold civil defense supplies. Very sturdy. ..takes a hand truck o move each one.
Old October 2, 2014, 01:23 PM   #4
spacecoast

Quote:
It would need wheels for me.
As in... Forklift
Old October 2, 2014, 02:04 PM   #5
cc-hangfire

Not sure if this is the direction you're thinking, but I use zippered fabric tool bags for extra range bags. The size I use is about 16" long, 12" wide, and 10"-12" deep. One filed with ammo boxes weighs around 40# to 50#. I can separate ammo by caliber (or gage) if desired, they are inconspicuous, and they are a whole lot less expensive than similar style firearms bags. Some of the ones I've gathered up have a waterproof bottom tray molded on; that's handy on wet ground. Using these would be less convenient if you're looking for one large container; they have the advantage of being more portable individually, and allowing the ammo to be distributed easier.
Old October 2, 2014, 02:12 PM   #6
BarryLee

Maybe I’m missing something, but what about basic ammo cans. If something is large/heavy enough to require wheels could you load it in a vehicle? I realize there are a lot of variables, but ammo cans seem to provide more flexibility than a large chest would.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 2, 2014, 02:42 PM   #7
wogpotter

Quote:
As in... Forklift
Bin thar'
Dun That.
At "Dans" years back with pallets of SA/A 7.62.

(It was a group buy)

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 3, 2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

You might want to consider adjusting your loadout to firearms that shoot the same ammunition? Less to carry, then.
Old October 3, 2014, 01:40 AM   #9
ballardw

If it is an "I might need it" emergency then I would start with loaded magazines in appropriate on-body carrier(for each person); holster and rifle-sling or slung case. Then add in bulk ammo, extra magazines and back up weapons in durable protective cases.

If it is "the river's rising and I got get out of here" something durable - ammo cans, equipment cases and the like. Cardboard is generally right out though some factory case boxes might work as they aren't likely to be overloaded and are made of appropriate strength material. For the guns padded or hard-side cases. There are a number of gun cases that have wheels though not usually suitable for terrain rougher than a sidewalk.