The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 13, 2014, 09:02 PM   #1
publius

stock checkering

I've been wanting to try stock checkering but have been terrified of ruining a good piece of wood. I have an old stock to try on now and wanted suggestions on what tools are absolutely necessary and any tips you have to offer. Thanks.
Old March 13, 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Get a set of six checkering tools from Dem-Bart or Gunline, at 18 lines per inch (most common), along with the Jointer. You will want the Jointer, it is used for straightening out lines that wander off. Basically, you need a border tool, a single cutter to make the layout cuts, and a right and left hand spacer cutter. Those five tools will get you started, but most buy a set of six, along with the Jointer.

Last, either make you a checkering cradle, or buy a cheap one to get started. You can also buy patterns, but you'll need a pounce wheel to use with them, to transfer the pattern with. I would also buy some colored grease pencils, say white or yellow, to do layouts with, along with some carbon paper.

To practice, get hold of some of the stockmakers, and see if they have any dud stocks, with decent grips. You can use these to practice on, and buy them cheap.
Old March 14, 2014, 07:09 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

The book you want to start with is "Checkering & Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy.

That is the standard text for checkering.
Old March 14, 2014, 10:56 AM   #4
PetahW

Tip(s):

Proceed VERY slowly.

Have (a lot of) patience.

Have good lighting.

Old March 14, 2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

One thing I forgot to mention above, is to buy the Dem-Bart layout gauge. You use it when laying out your own patterns, and it gives you the correct checkering angles, along with a spacing gauge to see what LPI a stock has if you want to rework the checkering. It's made of a thin flexible plastic, and is cheap.

As PeterW said above, go slow, and use good lighting. I use a Luxo magnifying lamp to do it, and a headband magnifier. If you have good eyesight yet, you might skip the latter.

Monty Kennedy's book, as mentioned above, is a must for anyone starting checkering, or carving. You can generally find it at a good price on eBay and Amazon.