The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 6, 2014, 09:28 PM   #1
BerdanSS

SAA overhaul. swapping the hammer for a bisley?

Going to be sending one of my tired ol 4 & 3/4" Ubertis to turnbull for a facelift. This particular one, is my most of the time carry piece and fence riding gun. I've always wanted to do a bisley hammer conversion. Has anyone come out with a "drop in" hammer for a SAA with the lower Bisley spur? or should I just get a bisley hammer, cut the spurs and weld one up/ fit it myself before I send the gun off for finish work?
Old March 7, 2014, 03:48 PM   #2
PetahW

My only experience with what you want to do was with two Ruger SA's I had - I just swapped out the hammers; which took about 30 mins total, from start of teardown to both guns finished.

BTW - After I was done, I found out that I didn't like the Bisley hammer on a non-Bisley gripframe as much as I thought I would, and so restored each hammer to it's original home after a few days shooting/trying the conversion.

The moral: think hard/long before laying out the cash I didn't have to - paying for the parts and/or conversion.

"Reversible error" worked for me - YMMV.

Old March 7, 2014, 05:19 PM   #3
BerdanSS

yessir, always a good thing to do. I had a chance to shoot (and shoot quite a bit) a Turnbull customized USFA 3 & 1/2 inch new model in 45 colt. It had a bisley hammer spur. I found the pistol much more comfortable to cock with the thumb of my shooting hand. Which is really nice when on horseback and you cant get two hands on the pistol.

The good thing about me doing it myself I guess is I can fine tune the angle of the hammer spur to fit my hand size to perfection

What I'm sending it to turnbull for is to have them put that nice blue on the barrel/ejector, hammer.....and the cylinder I had the bevel myself .
Also the frame, a new steel back-strap and trigger guard will be bone pack color hardened. This will also give me a chance to take down the front sight to point of aim with the pistols preferred load before its re blued with the barrel.
Old March 10, 2014, 07:29 PM   #4
PetahW

I like a man with a plan........