The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
anonymousFolk

Modified Weaver = Tendonitis in Shoulder?

So, I'm in my 30s. Went to the gym and did unassisted bar dips. Been a week or two since I had worked out, so I was a little rusty and pushed too hard; got pain in shoulder, but it wasn't horrible, stretched, and was OK.

Next day was steel target shooting day with pistols. So of course, excited, I loaded up mags full of .40 and went nuts as you can do fun stuff like draw from holster and rapid fire shoot there. I shot in modified weaver.

Since both of the above, got tendinitis in shoulder bad. Cortisone not good enough, doing physical therapy now.

I'm assuming the bar dips kicked off the tendinitis. But could a shooting binge of .40 in modified weaver aggravated the injury further?

Should I say forget it to modified weaver and adopt a difference stance that absorbs the recoil better? I'd noticed my accuracy improved in mod weaver...
Old September 4, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Creeper

There are so many variables and misunderstood terms these days that I have to ask. When you say "modified Weaver"... is your strong elbow locked or bent?

If it's locked, I can see the potential for additional injury to an already damaged shoulder. If your elbow is not locked, and recoil is being absorbed primarily by the forearm muscles and elbow joints... I can't see how you could (directly) aggravate the shoulder.

Have you had serious injuries to your strong shoulder in the past?

C
Old September 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Noreaster

Careful with the shoulder, mine is junk from lifting for the last twenty years. I'm LEO and since the heavy emphasis on active shooter training we've gotten away from traditional stances which may be really good for target shooting but not so good for combat. I try to get everyone into a good fighting stance (hands to hand, movement, shooting, which ever way you have to fight,) and teach the pistol and rifle from that stance. It helps with moving while searching and shooting. Traditional stances like the weaver are hard to maintain while moving down a hallway three abreast with the gun up. Try a balanced fighting stance and you bring other muscle groups, like your core, into the game and it may support or at least help out your injury.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Mobuck

I have so many sore, stiff, or weak points and joints that I don't have a "shooting form". I just try to find a position that's somewhat comfortable and stable. Many times, it would be a toss up as to whether I'd shoot a 44 mag or let a bear eat me. Your condition will probably ease up with some rest and careful exercise.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Bob Wright

I fail to see how a .40 caliber could affect your shoulder, or even wrists. I've shot .44 Magnum fairly regularly over the years without any effect on my shoulders. What I've felt mostly was in my wrists. This after over fifty years of heavy recoilling guns.

I'm not claiming to be Superman nor really macho, but my shoulders seem to be least affected by firing.

Folks I know who do suffer from such problems trace the source to other causes than shooting.

Bob Wright
Old September 4, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
SIGSHR

If the problem is in your shoulder it sounds more like bursitis-which I have. A consulation with an M.D. who specializes in such afflictions will help, for self treatment ibrupofen or something similar to ease the pain, along with ice pack treatments is what I do.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What's "modified" Weaver to you?
Old September 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
What's "modified" Weaver to you?
^^^This ?

Too, about ten years back I started having trouble with my right shoulder. Over the years, got to the point I couldn't work with arms raised above shoulders. The motion of just raising my right arm to shoulder level got painful. Anything I had in my hand that added any weight made shoulder hurt worse when raising.
Though's of you that have had Rotator cuff trouble know where I'm going with this.

At any rate, there was not any kind of modified stance I could come up with that would enable me to draw and shoot. After while, it even hurt to stand and fire pistol without drawing. Just holding pistol up hurt.

End result was what the doc. told me many years prior, Rotator cuff surgery.
Should have had it done years prior when Dr. said to have it and I wouldn't have had to endure the progressive pain.

You know the old saying "Hard head makes for a soft Gluteus Maximus"
Old September 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #9
anonymousFolk

This is modified weaver:

http://americanrifleman.org/modifiedWeaver
Old September 5, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Dragline45

Quote:
I'm assuming the bar dips kicked off the tendinitis. But could a shooting binge of .40 in modified weaver aggravated the injury further?
The bar dip's I'm sure were the cause, sounds like you simply strained your shoulder. Shoulder injuries can take a while to heal since you are using it all the time even for the smallest tasks. I wouldn't change up your stance since shooting .40 probably has nothing to do with your shoulder injury. Just take it easy at the gym and go a little more slowly.

I had major shoulder surgery my first year in college. Old football injury I had never gotten fixed that I waited far too long on. About a year later I over extended my shoulder at the gym doing pectoral fly's and could barely lift my shoulder. Breaking down scar tissue is painful and seeing as I didn't take physical therapy as serious as I should have, being in college at the time, this was a result. It took a couple weeks before the soreness went away.

By the way the best thing you can do for your shoulder is slowly and carefully stretch it a few times a day. Try massaging it a bit with Bengay or Icyhot.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:30 PM   #11
anonymousFolk

Makes sense about the bar dips...I think that was the cause. Thanks all

Started going to physical therapy, that's helping a lot. Shot the .40 cal again tonight and all is well!