The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Zeus77

300 Weatherby 130 gr TTSX load data?

I'm trying to find some load data to duplicate the ballistics of the Weatherby factory loading for the 300 Weatherby, 130gr TTSX bullet. Anyone have any experience with this combonation? Thanks, Zeus
Old August 28, 2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have that particular chambering, but wondered if you have checked the load data on the Barnes site? Because their solid copper bullets are harder than jacketed bullets and occupy more volume in a case, they are not loaded with the same powder charges as same-weight jacketed lead core bullets. Barnes being the main source of bullets of solid construction in this country, their load data should be the best source of what you are looking for.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 28, 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

My question is.. What do you want to do with it??
Old August 28, 2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Zeus77

Want to use the load for deer this year.
Old August 29, 2009, 12:12 AM   #5
A_Gamehog

Source of info is Barnes own site....

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/300WbyMagWeb.pdf

But in this day in age you may not have the correct primers for your favorite Recipes available. They recommend Federal 215, I like the 215M if they are available.

They list Hunter as the accurate powder of only two online. In the Barnes book it also confirms the Hunter powder of choice.

I don't think this is the "Factory Powder" as Norma makes their ammo and Norma Magnum Rifle Powder would logically.

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?Kaliber=300 Weatherby Magnum&Lang=2

But they don't list 130's only 150's and larger.

I like IMR 4831 or H-4831 with Weatherby/Norma brass and 215M Primers.

Accuracy loads in Nosler and other sources say use a slower powder for 200+ grainers. But the 130-135's are scattered at best for sources.

Sierra's 135 load data can't be used. The 130 TTSX is it's own creation with Nobody's data pertaining to it. The shank bands allow larger loads safely.

Barnes recommends to crimp all the loads with 130 TTSX bullets.

That is my list of knowledge about the 130's
Old August 29, 2009, 12:19 AM   #6
A_Gamehog

Source of info is Barnes own site....

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/300WbyMagWeb.pdf

But in this day in age you may not have the correct primers for your favorite Recipes available. They recommend Federal 215, I like the 215M if they are available.

They list Hunter as the accurate powder of only two online. In the Barnes book it also confirms the Hunter powder of choice.

I don't think this is the "Factory Powder" as Norma makes their ammo and Norma Magnum Rifle Powder would logically.

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?Kaliber=300 Weatherby Magnum&Lang=2

But they don't list 130's only 150's and larger.

I like IMR 4831 or H-4831 with Weatherby/Norma brass and 215M Primers.

Accuracy loads in Nosler and other sources say use a slower powder for 200+ grainers. But the 130-135's are scattered at best for sources.

Sierra's 135 load data can't be used. The 130 TTSX is it's own creation with Nobody's data pertaining to it. The shank bands allow larger loads safely.

Barnes recommends to crimp all the loads with 130 TTSX bullets.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=30cal&s=297

Usually Nosler's powder choices are dead on....these make their most accurate load at the highest speeds*

data @ Nosler is for 125's

Extrapolated/Morphed into Barne's Loadbook these two would work out best?

#####################################################

The Nosler loads max for IMR is 81, however the Barnes load books "START" there using 5 grains heavier bullets!
It's not a marketing ploy they are safe at higher velocitys. May not be as accurate as others but they work well.
I love my 300 WBY and have burned 4 powders to gain accuracy. IMR4831,H4831SC,7228SC,Reloader 25. I have a varmit load using
Winchester 147FMJ, and deer hunt with Barnes 180 TTSX and TSX. Last years buck died instantly 180TSX @3000+fps. Best I can group is about
1.5 to 2.0 inches @ 200 yards with a 2 lb timmney trigger on a bench.

Barnes loadbook #4

IMR4350 min 81.5 3465 fps and max 87.0 3693 fps 102%

H4350 min 80.0 3460 fps and max 84.5 3648 fps 95%

That is my list of knowledge about the 130's

Last edited by A_Gamehog; August 29, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Shoney

Zeus
Over the years I have worked up loads for several Weatherby's. Guys I knew that either didn't have the time or couldn't shoot them accurately, much less take the pounding at the bench during load development. I refused to load their ammo, only work out the loads when they provided all components.

I never did get one of them to attain factory listed velocity, and accuracy loads were well below factory. A gunsmith friend said he had occasion to talk with the factory while repairing one of their rifles. He broached the question of handloads never attaining factory velocity. The factory tech told him (for what it's worth) that Weatherby had developed blends of powders which they kept secret.

I've never hunted with a Weatherby, but have taken 2 deer with 130 gr Hornady bullets fron a Sako 300WinMag, with muzzel velocity of 3490. Eeeuuuugh!!! that was enoughfield testing of 130's. Shot placement was dead center mass above the front leg will little quartering. There was little salvageable meat within 18" of the entry/exit. That meant the neck on one and the hindquaters on both were salvageable but had hydrostatiic shock in the layers just under the skin on the fronts of the hindquarters.

If you want my advice, and I'm sure you don't, use a 200 gr bullet. Except for velocity (the 200 is 600fps faster than the 130 at 500yrd), there is neglible difference in trajectory to 400 yards and less than 6" difference to 500 yards. Not to mention the fact that you will have eadible meat, if you're interested in meat.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; August 29, 2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Zeus77

Thanks! Yeah, I've looked through the barnes manuals and have seen their data. I was just wondering if anyone has been able to duplicate it with off the shelf powders. As for the meat damage, that is not really my top concern although I do enjoy it very much. I'm hunting in the high south central Arizona desert mountains/canyons where the only deer are a whitetail sub species called Coues deer. With these deer, a trophy rack starts at 100 inches and they have an average body weight of around 85 to 95lbs on the hoof and much less dressed. I'm looking for a lightning fast round that will expand in these small animals that are not much bigger than coyotes. Most of these I have shot in the past with 150-180grn 308's have just punched a pencil size hole in and out like a ball round and recovering the deer always involved a tracking job if the major bone structure was not broken as in a double lung shot through the ribs. Plus, I really just wanted to try something different this year and since I've decided that I'm just hunting horns, I think it will be cool to turn one inside out.