The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 26, 2007, 01:44 PM   #1
jax11

Eyelets in a can

Hello, thanks for the previous help on the ammo. The question I have is about the eyelets/ grommets in my m-11 supressor. I need to replace them. Is there any reason to use brass ones verses the aluminum ones that were originally in there? Can this cause dissimilar metal corrosion as the can and baffles are aul...with the heat and all of SMG use??? Thanks ahead of time Jamie
Old July 26, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
ogree

jax11,

I posted a response to a similar question on another board, so I just cut and pasted it to this post. Hope it helps you out.

I replaced the eyelets many years ago with wire mesh.
Purchased at a hardware store or anyplace that sell screening for patios, just make sure it is at least made of aluminum (preferably some sort of steel).
It is cheap, can be cut with scissors, and is easy to locate.
After cutting to width, wrap the mesh around the rear expansion chamber as tight as possible until you have filled up the inside diameter area of the rear chamber, you can use a couple of staples to hold it in place so it won't unwrap while re-assembling the unit.
This method worked quite a bit better than the factory aluminum eyelets for sound reduction.
Old July 28, 2007, 12:37 PM   #3
douglasschuckert

Dont Do It Yourself!!!!!!

Unless you are a Class 2 SOT, you cannot, under ANY circumstance replace ANY part of your suppressor without running the risk of a 10 year paid vacation to Club-Fed (i.e. Federal Pen). Matter of fact, just being in possession of the raw material and the suppressor without the SOT will be cause for the BATF&E to file for, charge, prosecute, and execute a federal inditment for illegal possession of a firearm's suppressor and misc. parts.

If you have an old Sonics (or simular) can that you need to rebuild, send it off to AWC (http://www.awcsystech.com/). They will gut the can, and rebuild it to modern specs (so you never have to have it rebuilt again), and that will make it the quietest you're going to get (unless you purchase a Gem-Tech Viper). This is an easy way for you to get a *NEW* can without paying the txfer tax.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old July 31, 2007, 09:11 AM   #4
jax11

Research

Hello, thanks for the info. I have looked up the rulings from ATFE on replacement parts. (Have a copy with my extra wipes)-They have ruled the end wipes are NOT a silencer in itself like baffles. (consumable part) I am thinking that Eyelets are under the same ruling but I will write them and get it in writing about the eyelets and screen
Can I use BRASS screen???? if allowed thanks Jamie