The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1
STW

Rear sling swivel

I bought a M1907 sling for use with my AR last week because I want to learn to use/shoot with a sling. I noticed the difference a simple hasty sling makes and figured this was the next step.

The problem is that the rear sling swivel is not wide enough to fit the rear frog through; the rivets are just a bit too high or, in other words, too thick.
Are there any suggestions on how to open the swivel enough to fit the sling?

Naturally, it has to be easily repeatable since, to shoot with the sling properly, you have to remove the rear end from the rifle (and be able to put it on again when finished).
Old May 8, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Short of grinding either the sling or the swivel, the only method left is to distort the swivel slightly by expanding the loop.

To do that, put the loop portion over a block with a hole in it to pass whatever tool you'll be using. You might use the slightly open jaws of a vise. but pad it to prevent wrecking the finish on the swivel.
Put a tool into the loop and tap with a hammer. Move the tool over and tap more until you've expanded the loop enough.
One suitable tool might be a large chisel. The tapered chisel would fit through the loop and expand it as you tap it.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:43 PM   #3
STW

Heard from the manufacturer today. They suggested using a file to remove material inside the swivel. They said they (obviously) don't design for that type of sling but only for their own sling products.

I'll probably look elsewhere for a stock on the build I'm working on now.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
zoomie

Do you have something like this?

Do you know if one of these would be wider?

If it would, simply install one of these and you're in business.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/551...ck-steel-matte