The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 18, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
boxjeff

Anyone Cross-Bow hunt in PA?

Anyone Cross-Bow hunt in PA? I'm looking for information on how to get started and what gear I will need.

Thanks!
Old January 19, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Jack O'Conner

An unhealed elbow fracture ruined my conventional archery many years ago. But a Dr. letter and paperwoork got me into a crossbow back in 2001. Since then, the crossbow is valid for ALL hunters in the Commonwealth. I've had very good luck with my HuntMaster Advantage which was built by Ten Point.

Ten Point has a number of models to choose from that run a wide range of pricing. This is a solid company with excellent customer service.

I advise you to look to Parker for your first crossbow:
- made in Virginia, USA
- lifetime warranty
- number of innovative safety features
- very accurate
- low to medium pricing compared to other brands
- sometimes eBay has low pricing for recently discontinued models such as Spartan or BuckBuster; closeout pricing!

I'd avoid Barnett because of the cheap plastic components that are metal with other companies. Barnett does NOT have a good reputation.

Low end Horton models do not hold up well either. I suggest avoid Yukon and Summit models. But the Legend model is a keeper.

You should plan to scope your crossbow. I've had good luck with Simmons.

I suggest aluminum XX75 arrows with ThunderHead broadheads for long life, durability, and accuracy. Some guys like carbon shafts but I've witnessed breakage several times. Some guys like mechanical broadheads but I've always have very lethal good luck with ThunderHeads - why switch?

You should invest in a good grunt tube that features several grunt and bleat sounds.

You'll probably want to hunt from a climbing tree stand. API Grand Slam is a lightweight but safe product. I've had great luck with mine.

Crossbows are great fun for target shooting and very lethal hunting tools.

Good shooting to you.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; January 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
boxjeff

Thanks so much for the detailed information!

I'm also hoping to find a group of guys, or individual, to tag-along with on some hunting outings. I looking to learn X-Bow hunting and field-cleaning skills. I recently moved back to New Hope PA and have not been hunting in years...I'm eager to get-out-there and get hunting again.

Is anyone within Hunterdon NJ, Lehigh Valley PA or Bucks PA and interested in offering assistance? If a club or group is open to assisting that's great too. Additionally, I'm willing to provide some type of payment for assistance and training if need-be.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Jack O'Conner

I used to have a 10 acre parcel I could hunt in Bucks County but new owners .... So it goes.

Now I hunt in Maryland at Aberdeen Proving Grounds which is an Army Base. I hunt with a group of veterans.

I don't get up to Allentown area very often. One of the archery stores should be able to point you in the right direction for a local club.

Jack
Old January 26, 2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Sea Buck

Jack: What a wealth of information. I am closing in on 70 years and can no longer draw my bow without killing my rotator cuff. A cross bow is the way to go. I went to Cabela's and fondled all the bows they have on display. They are heavier than I thought.Of course I liked the $800 bow with all the bells and whistles!! A little out of my budget range.
That's a dandy little buck and nice does...good work.What bow are you using? The scope looks short like a pistol scope,what make and model is it?
Old January 27, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

My crossbow is from the 1990's. Its a HuntMaster Advantage by Ten Point. Scope is a discont'd crossbow 4X model by Simmons. Even though the crossbow is older, parts are interchangeable with the new models. My limbs were upgraded at the factory in 2009 because the original(s) developed hairline cracks.

Each Fall, I typically kill 3 - 5 deer in Maryland with my crossbow. It has paid for itself many times over.

You do not have to pay $800. for a well accessorized Parker crossbow. I suggest search for a Parker BuckBuster model. That was their top-of-the-line model a couple years ago.

Jack