The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 24, 2019, 12:18 PM   #1
Reasonablyinnocuous

PSA Mlok hand guard question

I have a PSA lightweight Mlok upper and am trying to mount a tape switch over the barrel. It seems like the slots on the top of the handguard are not actually Mlok dimensions (which is a mindblowing choice to me, but maybe there's a reason). Has anyone else run into this problem? Where you able to grind down either the slots or the actual Mlok tabs to make it work? I have an MOE polymer section which I actually think I could make it work, but I'd love a more elegant solution if anyone has one.
Old April 27, 2019, 01:40 PM   #2
riffraff

I assume you mean the slots are too small? Or do you mean not deep enough? Not familiar with PSA but the simple thing would be just use the same mlock nut upside down and manually get it aligned straight when tightening - ie take the hanguard off and put a pair of pliers in there to hold the nut..

Keep in mind sometimes slots are just vents and not actually mlock ports.. doesn't mean you cant mount to them anyway even if thats the case.
Old April 29, 2019, 02:59 AM   #3
Metal god

Tag to follow ,

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 7, 2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Jsnake711

My rail worked fine with m lok so maybe a defect.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:52 PM   #5
Reasonablyinnocuous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnake711 View Post
My rail worked fine with m lok so maybe a defect.
The top section, above the gas tube? My side and bottom section fit perfectly, but the top sections are clearly too small. I've done some digging and this seems to have happened to several other people too, so I'd love to hear it not being the case for someone else, then I will follow up with PSA
Old May 9, 2019, 02:35 PM   #6
Jsnake711

Oh, my rail is not mlok on top.