The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 25, 2018, 01:08 PM   #1
labnoti

Help me find a flintlock smoothbore

I need a quail gun for October and figure it's not too early to get started. I've been looking at a few of the off-the-shelf flintlock smoothbores available:

Pedersoli scout - a bit light for 12 ga and no ramrod

Pedersoli flintlock SxS - looks awesome, but maybe only the fancy one will be out late this year and the standard next year? Might be a gun for the future

Pedersoli Mortimer 12ga - a tad portly at 10 lbs.

French Tulle fusil-de-chasse - ToTW has a used Kendall Brady, a bit pricey for a field gun. TVM has the Tulle.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket 20ga

TVM Flintlock Fowler 20ga

I think I've got it narrowed down to the TVM Tulle, Indian Trade Musket or the TVM Fowler. Any advice?
Old May 25, 2018, 04:48 PM   #2
mehavey

Pedersoli Brown Bess (12ga)
(Style Points)
Old May 25, 2018, 06:23 PM   #3
JN01

The TVM guns will have a superior lock.
Old May 25, 2018, 07:56 PM   #4
B.L.E.

Quote:
Pedersoli Brown Bess (12ga)
(Style Points)
The Brown Bess was a .75 inch bore making it an 11 gauge. No problem though, Track of the Wolf sells Circle Fly wads in that and nearly any other oddball gauge you can imagine.

A 12 gauge has a .729 inch bore.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:09 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Brown Bess is too heavy and swings poorly. I'd rather have a trade gun for hunting.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:43 AM   #6
mehavey

I use the Bess in Skeet. (Singles, natch)
No, it's not my Mdl-12... but it sure teaches/helps follow-through
Old May 26, 2018, 01:57 PM   #7
eastbank

the key to a good flint lock is the frizzen, to hard and it will brake flints, to soft and the flint digs in, with no spawls of steel(sparks) with either one. with out a good frizzen and the flint adjusted just right, the flint lock rifle-shotgun may drive you to drink.

Last edited by eastbank; May 26, 2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 27, 2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Roaddog

The TVM fowler is a good bird gun with nice follow through and the weight is good to work with.20 gage is plety of gun to get the job dun.TVM makes a good quality gun.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:36 AM   #9
labnoti

I understand the guns from TVM are built to suit with higher quality locks and options for premium components, and so they command a higher price than Pedersoli's which are in stock at Cabelas or Dixie etc. I hadn't really intended to pay over a thousand dollars for a field gun, but I might be better off in the long run getting a good one the first time.

Between the Tulle and the Fowler, I understand the Tulle is based on French designs and the Fowler on British. I can see some differences in the shape of the buttstock but otherwise the practical differences aren't obvious to me.
Old May 29, 2018, 03:44 AM   #10
l.cutler

If you want it by October it is probably too late to be thinking about TVM. Most likely have to settle for a premade over the counter gun.
Old May 29, 2018, 04:05 AM   #11
Old Stony

The British fowlers seem to me like the best way to go. I've been using one for many years now and really like it. I had mine done up as sort of a canoe gun....shortened to 24 inch barrel and it handles nice. I have taken deer and hogs with mine as well, using .62 caliber round balls...so there is a lot of versatility there.
Sorry...I've lost all desire to deal with anything Pedersoli, but you can find a lot of good stuff out there if you check around with places like Track of the Wolf, The Gun Works, etc..