The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2006, 07:40 PM   #1
cajun kid

buck shot

i have a 24 inch smoothbore slug barrel that shoots real good. just wondering how it would shoot buckshot.
Old October 29, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Probably real good.

A lot depends on choke. Many manufactures are going to the Improved Cylinder choke for slug and buskshot, but the old standard was the Cylinder Bore.

Like slugs, you get the best results by buying a variety of brands and types of buckshot and shooting them for best patterns.

Just make sure you have a smooth, non-rifled bore, since rifled bores are for sabot slugs ONLY.
Old October 29, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
skeeter1

Buckshot depends on what you want to do with it. For HD, I think #4 Buck is probably the best (just IMHO). For whitetails and black bear, I's probably good to go with 00 buckshot if it's legal where your are. I keep a few rounds of 000 Magnum buck around just in case I need to stop a truck. Those things kind of scare me.
Old October 30, 2006, 12:02 AM   #4
grey_pilgrim

I have a question: I always thought buckshot was best shot out of a full choked barrel. Is this true, or is something more open better? Does it depend on application?

Whatever is best, it will work out of a cylinder bore, but i'd do some patterning first, so you get an idea of what it can and can't do.
I got a huge surprise when i patterned buckshot at 50 yards. Even with a full choke.
Old October 30, 2006, 08:54 AM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Every barrel and ammo combination is different - even a change in the Lot of ammo can change the pattern. (ammo is produced in Lots - it changes when the company changes the "recipie" )

Some general statements (and I've seen exceptions to all) are that 00 and 000 buck work best out of Modified and tend to have flyers out of Full. #4 and #1 seem to do well in Full chokes. Depending on what your doing (HD or hunting), it's tough to get good patterns past 30 yrds. Buck is OK for deer sized game, but once the critter gets over 150 pounds or so, I'm a huge fan of slugs. I do like buck for HD, but that tends to be pretty close range stuff.
Old October 31, 2006, 05:01 PM   #6
john in jax

Federal makes a copperplated buckshot - - I'm partial to the OO Buck - - that patterns well out of my Rem 1187, Browning and Mossberg.
Old November 2, 2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Mannlicher

buy several brands of different buck loads, and just see what works best for you. I like a modified choke with 12 Ga 00 buck, and open cylinder with #4 and #1. What works in my shotty though, might not in yours.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 4, 2006, 09:04 PM   #8
Endigo

Federal also uses a shot cup that cuts down on shot degradation, from the barrel. I shoot an old Italian double, Mod. choke that puts 7 or 8 out of 9 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds.