The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Nagano21

Hunting Q

Hi ya'll,

I am going Bird hunting for the first time this coming weekend. I am going to be using a 16Gauge. We are going to be hunting geese, duck,and other various fowl. I was unable to find any steel shot, so I am limited to have to stay away from water when we go. My main question is what chock should I be using. The shotgun I have is an old Mossberg, bolt action. It fires nicely, it was my grandfathers hunting one, he used it for everything. The shotgun has a fixed choke with what I believe are Cylinder, Improved, and modified, I am not positive b/c my gun is locked up at home, and I am away at school. If you think using this gun is a poor choice you recommend me going out and buying a cheap 12guage like a 500 or 870 which can be found for under $200. Anyway let me know what you all think, as well as some tips you may have for the hunt... Thanks.
Old October 30, 2006, 07:49 PM   #2
mswestfall

Nagano,

I am not aware that you can shoot lead shot at a waterfowl bird near or away from water.

I would not shoot steel shot through a gun that was owned by your grandfather without more information. It may damage the barrel (bbl). Old guns were not made for steel shot.

How do the chokes that you have fit on the bbl? Do they screw into the inside of the bbl or do they screw into an attachment that is fixed to the end of the bbl? If it's an older gun I would guess the latter is true; like a Cutts (sp?) Compensator.

You might post the model and all but the last 3 numbers in the serial number (12345xxx style) and someone can tell you more about the guns capabilities. It would help too if you can post the name of the choke(s).

But to answer your questions (if the gun will not be damaged by steel shot):
I personally would shoot a modified choke with number 4 steel shot through a 16 gauge gun for ducks and geese.

Pheasants, lead shot, #6's or 7 1/2's in a modified bbl.
Quail, lead shot, 7 1/2's or 8's in an improved cylinder.

Good luck and post the extra info if possible.
Old October 30, 2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Nagano21

Thanx for the response. I believe the shotgun is a Mossberg Model 190D, although not 100 percent pos. I am shying away from using non lead in it anyway. The choke is fixed,not sure what the proper term is, but all i know is it is adjustable with three diff settings, and def does not come off the muzzel. Just found out I only have to use lead if I am going to be over water, and I am not going to be. I am not looking more toawrds also pickin up a new shotgun, either a moss 500 or Rem 870, the choice is real tuff right now.