The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 4, 2016, 12:33 PM   #1
sandman31774

T/C Impact

The T/C Impact muzzleloader interests me. I'm new to muzzleloaders. Wondering if the Impact is good for it's cheaper price point or if I should look into something better??

My shots are 100 yards and closer where I hunt. Deer/hogs etc...
Old June 4, 2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Rachen

If you like the TC brand primarily, get the TC Encore. It is more expensive, of course, but you can switch out the barrels and literally have a whole set of rifles in one rifle. Like one of these multi-head screwdrivers. The Encore is available with a .50 or .45 caliber muzzleloading barrel, as well as 12-gauge shot/slug barrels, and about 10-15 other popular hunting and varmint rifle calibers. Same TC reliability, and more choices. Lets say you are stuck at an overwinter hunting camp deep in the Canadian wilderness under 30 inches of snow. The nearest supplier or your buddies only have 12-gauge slugs available. Well, one screw, one twist of a handle and presto! you have a 12 gauge slug gun in your hands now.

Otherwise, I would personally recommend a Civil War rifled musket. A 2-band Enfield to be more precise. Can take all species of big game on the planet, and the rifle gives you a lot of recreational potential. Want to compete in N-SSA or join a reenactment group? You have one gun for a lot of different needs.
Old June 4, 2016, 01:07 PM   #3
sandman31774

Thanks for the reply ! I have plenty of shotguns and other rifles, so the Encore doesn't interest me much. I don't need all of the interchangeable options the Encore offers. It is nice though. I am just interested in venturing into the muzzleloader world. Just mainly wondering if the T/C Impact is decent quality for the cheap price point.
Old June 4, 2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Rachen

From looking at it on Cabelas, it looks pretty decent, and has the TC brand behind it. Light and easily packable into the field.

If you want even more budget, they have rifles from CVA and Traditions that do the same work and some of them even come with starter kits so you can hit the field much faster. You just got to get the powder and primers.

Be sure though, even though these *ahem* modern muzzleloading guns look alot like a .308, the same muzzleloading rules still apply. That means black powder or BP substitutes ONLY.

If you are new to muzzleloading, I would recommend you to browse this forum thoroughly before starting and also check out Youtube videos from muzzleloading experts who do a great job at explaining all the quirks that you may encounter, and how to maintain/clean/upkeep your equipment. Muzzleloading takes a great deal more work and attention so everything runs properly. Cleaning is especially important as black powder and BP substitutes like Pyrodex are quite corrosive and you must clean your guns soon after shooting them to prevent rust.

However, if price is not an issue and you plan on doing other activities in the muzzleloading community like reenactments, competitions, or wood camping, you might want to get a traditional musket or rifle. If you want to go that route, a Civil War rifle, or a Kentucky/Traditions/Pennsylvania longarm is great, some are even budget priced. Check out Dixie Gunworks @ http://dixiegun.com They have a lot of stuff to help get you started.
Old June 4, 2016, 02:02 PM   #5
sandman31774

Thanks again ! I appreciate all of your help ! I do know to use Blackthorn 209, 777, pyrodex etc....I definitely understand the safety issues with using the right powders and correct amount of powder !! That's good of you to point all of that out for those that may not know ! Safety first!
I like the more modern looking inline muzzleloaders I admit. I respect the traditional looking models and understand the following. I will just need something to put an occasional hog or deer down. I love my centerfire rifles and archery for hogs and deer. I figure muzzleloading will be another addition to my hunting addiction. I guess with my longest shots where I hunt only being 100 yds or closer, most any muzzleloader would do....I guess i'll go with the T/C Impact and give it a try soon. Maybe I can talk the wife/kids into one for Father's Day...
Old June 5, 2016, 04:44 AM   #6
dr1445

you would be fine with an impact. i don't have a one but i do have a tc black diamond and an omega. the omega is suitable for bh209. i am a range shooter and find the bh209 experience to expensive for that purpose. i did get some bh209 with one rifle i purchased, good stuff, super for hunting and low volume use. the omega is very good rifle but out of production now. they can be found on gunbroker.com. if your shooting primarily bh209 a blued gun should be fine.
Old June 5, 2016, 05:18 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Shoulder everything before you buy it.
Not all rifles give its holder a decent sight plain down its barrel.

My first pick would be: a older Blued /TC Omega. One in good shape. (not T/Cs Z models) I think you would be pleased.

2nd. pick just a plain jane CVA Optima. They shoulder nice and they shoot true.
Old June 5, 2016, 06:27 PM   #8
noelf2

I have an impact with leupold rings and a leupold vx1 scope. Absolute tack driver with two 777 pellets and TC shockwave sabot bullets.
Old June 7, 2016, 02:50 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I have some older TC products I was very happy with. I've had two recent interractions with S&W(who now owns the TC brand) CS that left me unimpressed.

I'm in the market for a new muzzle loader with finger removeable breech plug and I will be buying either a CVA Wolf or CVA Accura with nitride barrel.