The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2014, 11:50 PM   #1
BerettaMan96

I need a good shotshell recipe for over 1200

I'm looking to get into loading my own shells like many others and just picked up a lee load all 2 for dirt cheap. My questions are, what is a good recipe to achieve over 1200fps, what components work best, and any tips or advice for someone new to this?
Old February 11, 2014, 12:04 AM   #2
loademwell

I bought the 12 g. book for reloading.
Not an expert yet. Only have made about 300 rounds. but what I can tell ya, is that its very VERY important to follow the recips to the T.

I can tell ya what I have for 1200 fps but you need to tell me what you want! You talking slugs, shot (if so how much shot), what hulls you have or powder.

What are you going to use it for?
Old February 11, 2014, 12:18 AM   #3
BerettaMan96

Well like I said im new to this and haven't bought any components yet. I wanted to do some research and learn a little more first, but I plan on using them mostly for target shooting. I need something more than 1200 though because my 12g cycles better.
Old February 11, 2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Rico567

I shoot sporting clays, 1 oz. loads, in a Beretta 682 Super Sport. I load W 209 primers, Claybusters pink wads (just a clone of the Winchester 1 oz. wad) in AA hulls. I use 18.5 Clays powder per the Hodgdon online data manual* yielding 1235 fps. There is one heavier load listed, 19.8 grains at 1290 fps, but this is beyond my needs.

*You should go online and verify this data for yourself. Even though I've checked it, never use a load someone else gives you without checking. "Trust, but verify."

- Mark Twain
Old February 11, 2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Pongo

Purchase the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook. I believe the 5th edition is the most recent.
That will give you the loading information you require as well as descriptions and pictures of the most common hulls you may reload. Follow instructions and load recipes to the letter.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:01 AM   #6
JimDandy

Well the people who did it strongly suggest you and I not do it, but here's a video of 16 magnets
Old February 11, 2014, 06:10 PM   #7
02bigdogs17

I have loaded 12 gauge shotshells for several years because I shoot a lot of clay's. When I started everyone told me to use Red Dot powder for my loads so I did. While it worked well I just couldn't help but notice it was very dirty and kept thinking there had to be something better so I started trying other loads and componets. I really like 20.5gr American Select, with WAA12 wads, Winchester 209 primers, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot in a AA hull. Also have had good luck with 8 shot to. Shoots very well in all my Auto's and slays the birds. Also very clean. The best hulls are AA in my opinion but I have even loaded some of the cheap Federal and Winchester universal hulls you buy at Walmart in the 100 packs. A lot of people will say don't load them but they work just fine I only load them twice and throw them away.
Old February 12, 2014, 03:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

Hodgdon has a good online data site - for reloading....

First of all ....pick a single type of hull to reload ( and for 12ga - the dominant hull to reload is Remington STS or Nitro / but you can also use Remington Gun Club hulls )..... 2 3/4" hulls

For 1 1/8oz of shot ...over 1200 fps ... use Hodgon International, Universal or Longshot ...and you'll find a number of loads up tp 1585 fps....( if you want to load them that hot ).

For 1 oz loads ...Hodgdon Clays is good with loads up to 1290 fps / or you can use International and get up to 1345 fps....

For 7/8 oz loads....Hodgdon Clays ..or International gets you up to 1400 fps...
------------
But seriously ....over 1225 fps ....you're punishing yourself for no particular reason ...when, if the gun won't cycle loads at 1200 fps, it might just need cleaning or lube - or both.../ maybe a modification, if its a gun that is older than 20 yrs or so....
------------
In 12ga 50% of what I shoot is 1 oz loads at 1225 fps / ...and I've moved my loads down to 7/8 oz especially for practice at about 1225 fps ....and I'm experimenting now with some 3/4 oz loads.../ you just don't need to send buckets of shot downrange to break clay targets ( Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays )...in my opinion.
Old February 12, 2014, 06:47 PM   #9
BerettaMan96

Whats a good high brass hull to reload?

Thanks for all the answers guys, after checking out some of the sites mentioned I feel I've learned enough to try my hand at loading my own shotshells now. And BigJimP, 1225 would be plenty for what im shoioting. It's a bone stock MKA1919 XN and until I can do a little work to it, it cycles better with anything over 1200. AA's have worked great with it so far as recommended by Mike from Tooth And Nail Armory. it runs pretty much 100% with those other than the occasional hiccup, but that's only with the 10round mag. The 5rd mags work flawlessly. Also what is a good high brass hull to reload that's also not over priced. Thanks again.
Old February 12, 2014, 07:13 PM   #10
BigJimP

I have no idea ...about high brass....I don't fool with it / but if your press can handle high brass ( and not all of them can ) the recipe's don't change....a 2 3/4" Remington Hull ...is a 2 3/4" Remington Hull....

but recipe's are hull specific ...often requiring different components...

Tags
reloading components , reloading data , shotshell