The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2014, 01:38 PM   #1
loademwell

Bullet Swaging

I picked up a bunch of stuff at an estate sale. About 4 boxes of reloading stuff. a couple of presses and a hand full of dies along with 100's of casings and projectiles. ANy how:

In one of the boxes (while I was looking at it at the sale I thought it was a press) When I got home and started going through the stuff and having a closer look at this press, it turned out to be a bullet swager. With 357 dies on it.

What is this? I mean, I have an idea what swaging is but I can't find one thing online regarding this press or the dies that are on it. I see a bunch on ebay but they are selling for 150 bucks... But the threads wouldn't line up with this press (CH press-o-matic). Is it possible to buy more dies?

Where do you get reloading data on the bullets that it poops out?

Does anyone still do this? Can you tell me a good book to buy? Links to read? anything would help.

If you want pix, I would be happy to supply. I could even try to mount it and use some lead wire (in one of the boxes too) and see what it makes if that helps....
Old February 9, 2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Shootest

check out this

http://www.corbins.com/
Old February 10, 2014, 02:35 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Dies are available, but not cheap. I am not familiar with the threads in the CH Swage-O-Matic. If they are non-standard, it will add to the cost of new dies. (CH no longer makes swaging dies. The situation is not clear-cut, but the bottom line is that they don't make swaging dies any more.)
Not counting the possibility of custom threading...

For a basic setup for a lead bullet in a single pistol caliber, you're looking at $150 in the rock bottom bargain basement - $350+ for a proper die. And, if you want some of the nicer 'accessory' dies that make the final swaging process easier (like a "squirt die"), you'll need to add another $150-400, each. As a bonus, most of the 'lead only' dies will handle half jackets without a problem.

With unjacketed bullets, you'll also need a way to lubricate. Depending on the type of lubricant you want to use, you may need a knurling machine, or a cannelure machine (some are available as both - with interchangeable wheels). A cheap, manual version of either tool starts at about $75, I believe.

For jacketed handgun bullets, dies start at around $300, because you can get away with using only one or two dies. Something of reasonable quality and utility runs $400-550.

Dies for jacketed rifle bullets, however, cost quite a bit more. Depending on what you want to swage, you may need 3, 4, 5, or more different dies, for a single type of bullet. Die set prices are all over the map, but you're generally looking at about $800 to get started with a basic set of dies in a common caliber, ogive, and weight range. It is extremely easy, when ordering a custom set of rifle bullet dies, to find yourself staring at a price of $1,600-3,000, after adding options and accessories.

As for load data -
It really depends on what you're swaging. If you're using unusual materials and/or an unusual design, then you're just going to have to come up with the data on your own. But, if you're using standard materials and designs, you can use standard load data. (For example, I swage 275 gr .44 caliber bullets, using .40 S&W cases as jackets. I used standard 265 gr data to work up the load for .44 Mag and .444 Marlin.)

I'm no expert - just an interested party, with minimal experience. To really satisfy your curiosity, I suggest you head over to the castboolit forums. The swaging forum, in particular, should provide a lot of information for you. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Swaging is 'black magic' to most people, and can even be confusing and intimidating to people that have experience doing it. And, those guys should be able to ID anything you've got - most likely just by looking at a photo.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:39 PM   #4
ricklaut

Sounds like a nice score... If you're looking for another all-consuming hobby (that feeds a hobby, that feeds another hobby) swaging is it. I got into swaging .224 bullets last year.

If you find any .308 swaging dies in the bottom of that box, they're worthless & I'll need to destroy them . Seriously, though, I'd be interested if you have other calibers & don't intend to use them (no need for .357 though).

I second the advice to head over to the CB swaging forum. HUGE bank of knowledge there.
Old February 11, 2014, 12:09 AM   #5
chiefr

Bullet swaging became popular after the WWII when there were few bullets manufacturers making bullets. Practically all bullet production went toward some type of mil ammo. Bullets were scarce.

It wasn't until a few years after the Korean war we started seeing relatively cheap bullets specifically for reloaders from Speer, Hornady, Herters, Nosler etc..

During the brief time bullets were scarce and we had few bullet manufacturers, swaging became popular, but only for a while. Yes the dies and equipment was very expensive.

With competition and mass production following the Korean War, bullets became relatively cheap. IE, back in the mid 50s a 100 box of 30 cal bullets cost $2 - 2.50. A set of swaging dies and equipment was well over $100.

I was introduced to swaging many years ago. Making bullets involved more steps than I care to mention here and time consuming. Built large biceps pumping the lever on the heavyweight press. But, like many of my peers, I went for manufactured bullets.

As you know, Corbin is still around and I think they still offer swaging supplies like lead wire and copper cups. I remember using copper tubing and lead wire to make 30 caliber bullets.

The person who introduced me to swaging also had a set of dies to make 6mm and 223 bullets from fired 22 cases. Talk about cheap bullets, but the investment cost was exorbitant.