The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 1, 2022, 05:35 PM   #126
mikejonestkd

Quote:
The Johnny Appleseed shooting range events --- as far as I know --- has banned the S&W MP-15, chambered in 22lr (because of an OOB incident that occurred with physical injury) --- IMHO --- they should ban all AR-15's, chambered in 22lr at all shooting events
The M&P 15-22 was recalled a few years ago, and the issue has been resolved.

I am in the same camp as several of the above posters - I only own a few AR rifles, and can not recall a single jam. My Stag has well over 2000 rounds through it and has been 100% perfectly reliable since day one. My others have a lower round count, but they have also been perfect.
Old January 3, 2022, 10:13 AM   #127
Fishbed77

I can’t believe this thread, which was predicated by a false perception to begin with, is six pages in now.
Old January 3, 2022, 10:23 PM   #128
Never-Enough

Never had an issue with any of mine
Old January 4, 2022, 12:47 AM   #129
armoredman

I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed the original poster never came back, reminds me of a word...
Old January 4, 2022, 01:28 AM   #130
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed the original poster never came back, reminds me of a word...
You're not.

Trolls move on to other sites pretty quickly when they are ignored.
Old January 4, 2022, 02:22 AM   #131
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I can’t believe this thread, which was predicated by a false perception to begin with, is six pages in now.
Hilarious, isn't it?
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [8 Courses]
Old January 4, 2022, 10:54 AM   #132
rickyrick

Not many people have stated that they’ve had issues with ARs in its standard modern configuration.
Old January 4, 2022, 12:04 PM   #133
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Not many people have stated that they’ve had issues with ARs in its standard modern configuration.
I certainly wouldn't call them "jam-o-matics", not by a long shot
But I will say that I've often found them to be more finicky/sensitive versus other platforms
Old January 4, 2022, 05:13 PM   #134
Scorch

Quote:
Not original configuration, but I had a bit of experience with them in the M16A1 and M16A2 configuration, and many later configurations (they're just modern Barbie dolls for men). No problems no matter how they're dressed.
Old January 4, 2022, 07:34 PM   #135
rickyrick

I saw people using m16a1/a2/M4 issued rifles have troubles, and as I’ve said before, those same people had issues with all their equipment... they could mess up opening an MRE lol
Old January 4, 2022, 08:11 PM   #136
101combatvet

In my experience, I've seen very few jams, and I've fired thousands of rounds downrange. Those few jams have always been cleared within seconds. I was given an M16A2 on a night firing exercise that the operator could not clear. I shone a light on the inside of the upper receiver and found a round pushed between the upper receiver and the gas tube. To remove the round, I had to tear the round apart with a Leatherman tool. Once the round was removed, the rifle operated flawlessly. One has to wonder how such a thing could happen; I surmise that the operator was concerned about not qualifying, so he tried to add an additional round into the magazine or chamber. A feeding problem ensued when he attempted to chamber a round. While clearing the malfunction, he probably didn't remove the magazine. Once the bolt was pulled back and then forced forward, the round was forced where it wasn't supposed to go. I blame this on operator error and not the fault of the rifle. If it's any consolation, not long after, the same operator shot himself in the foot trying to clear a pistol.
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [8 Courses]
Old January 4, 2022, 08:11 PM   #137
davidsog

Quote:
I think there is potential for at least 3 more pages of people saying the same thing about the AR-15.
Old January 5, 2022, 09:05 AM   #138
JustJake

Quote:
* * * I was given an M16A2 on a night firing exercise that the operator could not clear. I shone a light on the inside of the upper receiver and found a round pushed between the upper receiver and the gas tube. To remove the round, I had to tear the round apart with a Leatherman tool. Once the round was removed, the rifle operated flawlessly. One has to wonder how such a thing could happen; I surmise that the operator was concerned about not qualifying, so he tried to add an additional round into the magazine or chamber. A feeding problem ensued when he attempted to chamber a round. While clearing the malfunction, he probably didn't remove the magazine. Once the bolt was pulled back and then forced forward, the round was forced where it wasn't supposed to go. I blame this on operator error and not the fault of the rifle. If it's any consolation, not long after, the same operator shot himself in the foot trying to clear a pistol.
Glad you figured it out.

On the one-way firing range, jam-skis with an AR aren't really a problem. They're actually a learning opportunity.

On the two-way firing range, ... well, you'll just be deado while the dude standing over your body with the AK just shakes his head.
Old January 10, 2022, 03:53 PM   #139
Ignition Override

This might be in a different context.

An ATI AR (not a better brand, it seems) was bought by a neighbor a few years ago (retired US Army). He has admitted that it was only an impulsive, totally Uninformed purchase. He didn't care.

I watched the constant FTExtract problem with commercial Non-reloaded ammo.

He finally took it to a tech, possibly the guy is a qualified gunsmith (?), at our Top Gun store/range in Bartlett TN.

Apparently the gas tube needed alignment?
Rifle now works reliably.

Stark contrast: a different friend has an '85 "Green Box" Colt AR.
He has never mentioned a single issue with the rifle. R. bought it when he moved to west TN to attend a former aviation school for international students.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 12, 2022 at 12:58 AM.
Old January 20, 2022, 07:42 AM   #140
davidsog

Come on guys....

3 more pages!! You can do it.

Old January 20, 2022, 09:44 AM   #141
rickyrick

Probably will do it, lol. ARs are the most popular civilian rifle ever.
Just try to make a Mini14 thread, ARs will take it over too.
Old January 20, 2022, 01:05 PM   #142
stagpanther

In the interest of keeping this going (like a virus) I have a few AR's that not only don't have a FA--but ALSO don't have the dust cover!!!!!!
Old January 20, 2022, 02:06 PM   #143
throttleup

No jams in my "matics"

Ridicules Thread. Went to the range over Christmas with four boys and 5 AR-15's of various manufacturers and configurations and an AR-10. Went through almost 1,000 rounds in two days. The only jams were with some plastic mags someone had gotten a "bargain" on somewhere. All guns ran flawlessly with good 20 or 30 round metal mags. Fun days!
Old January 20, 2022, 07:14 PM   #144
stagpanther

Quote:
not long after, the same operator shot himself in the foot trying to clear a pistol.
That's usually grounds for getting a great nickname--did he get one?
Old January 21, 2022, 07:46 AM   #145
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
That's usually grounds for getting a great nickname--did he get one?
I’d suggest Hop-Along.