The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2022, 03:18 PM   #1
Wildernesshunter

Just joined the Grendel club....

I have wanted a Grendel for at least 5 years and just pulled the proverbial trigger.....

Nope... didn't purchase a bolt gun, like I thought I wanted, I went the AR route....

I already own a 7.62 AR Mutant... so I simply purchased a 6.5G upper with a 20" Stainless barrel.

I also dropped the coin on 500 rounds of the 100gr variety.

I'm stoked to see how this gun will perform on dirt-dogs this spring and hope it is accurate out to 300 yards or so.

This "value" scope was on my 556 AR for a couple of years and is rock solid.... but I went to open sights on my 556 and this scope has been sitting.... so now it will go on the Grendel.

4-16x50 with illuminated reticle.

Old January 16, 2022, 12:18 PM   #2
tangolima

6.5mm Grendel should do well beyond 300yd. A forum member here shot wonderful groups at 1000yd.

What make and model is your scope?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2022, 06:41 PM   #3
stagpanther

If you want to get into a great argument--just tell a 6.8spc aficionado that the grendel is better.
Old January 17, 2022, 10:20 AM   #4
ed308

Now that you mentioned it…, he should’ve bought a 6.8 SPC.
Old January 17, 2022, 11:13 AM   #5
stagpanther

Under the " H Influence" ?
Old January 18, 2022, 01:20 AM   #6
ed308

Those were the days. Don’t hear much between the 6.8 homers and the Grendel folks these days. Both are fine cartridges. I do like my 6.8 better. Maybe because I’ve had a 6.8 for a lot longer than my Grendel. Got my first 6.8 back in 2012. Didn’t get the Grendel until 2018 or maybe 2019 if my memory is correct. Hopefully this year will be better and I get more time behind the Grendel.
Old January 18, 2022, 03:22 AM   #7
stagpanther

I too prefer the 6.8 spc over the grendel--mostly for functional reasons, the case itself is simply less of a problem IMO when adapting to wildcats in AR's--I have lots of em based on cases from from both. but in the end its 6 of one, half dozen of the other kind of argument.
Old January 18, 2022, 07:44 AM   #8
highpower3006

I built a 6.5 Grendel AR a couple of years ago largely because I found a smoking deal on a 20" heavy stainless barrel and built a rifle out of it. I really like this rifle and it is astonishingly accurate, even with inexpensive factory ammo. I usually shoot this rifle suppressed (adjustable gas block makes this easy) and it is quite pleasant with very mild recoil.

I don't particularly care whether someone else thinks their preferred caliber is "better", I like it and that is all that matters to me.
Old January 21, 2022, 06:10 PM   #9
hounddawg

Love my Grendels. I have a pair of 6.5 AR's and a .30 Grendel bolt gun. I also have a 6 ARC barrel on order which is a Grendel with the shoulder pushed back.

There are several sources for wild cat barrels. The 6mm Grendel, also known as the 6 AR. The 6 Grinch which is the grendel with a 40 degree shoulder and necked down to 6mm. Benchresters are using that one for group shooting with good success. The 30 Grendel (also known as the 30 major or 30 BW) and is also a benchrest cartridge. Then there is the .22 Grendel if one wants to push 80 and 90 gn bullets at over 3K

Never had any desire for a 6.8 since the 6.5 Grendel has a bit of a edge for long-distance shooting with slightly better trajectories and fewer bullet drops and wind shifts between 400 to 500 yards. I have shot mine out to 850 yards with 20 round groups measuring slightly larger than 1 MOA vertical spreads. That was with a mid priced rifle from a small builder. Just put my own together with a better barrel. Early break in looks promising, pretty sure I will be able to get sub MOA and stay well above supersonic out past 800 with handloads

For hunters though both have a comparable performance at normal hunting ranges. They are equal in fatality.
Old January 25, 2022, 09:59 PM   #10
Wildernesshunter

Took a good long while to arrive, but it came in today and I quickly threw her together...... stripping off the 7.62x39 and snapping in the Grendel. She looks really good and can't wait to get her popping at the range.