The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 23, 2021, 11:41 PM   #26
Porsche911

I understand you guys hate the NRA.

I mailed them a check for $1000. I support the NRA! No Doubt.

I am also not in anyway associated with the NRA. I just support gun ownership.
Old December 24, 2021, 01:01 AM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911
I support the NRA and just gave them $10,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911
I understand you guys hate the NRA.

I mailed them a check for $1000. I support the NRA! No Doubt.

I am also not in anyway associated with the NRA. I just support gun ownership.
So you have now donated $11,000 to the NRA?

Where did you get the idea that we all hate the NRA? A lot of us are members. I'm a life member. I think I speak for most NRA members in saying that we don't hate the NRA ... but we do hate that Wayne LaPierre has been using the NRA as a personal piggy bank for himself and some of his close friends, and we hate what LaPierre has done to the NRA.

If LaPierre and the board of directors had been running a squeaky clean operation, the AG of New York State would have no case.
Jeepaholic
Old December 25, 2021, 02:42 PM   #28
gbclarkson

Quote:
I’m talking about an actual ban on the firearms you currently own, door-to-door confiscation of those firearms, and you facing actual jail time if you fail to comply.
I am a recreational and sometimes competitive shooter. I keep a pistol for self-defense. Total bans and forced confiscations are such an extremely unlikely scenario. I shake my head and roll my eyes at the fictional, dystopian unarmed future society created by the NRA marketing department. I am not arming myself to wage battle against the government, so this solicitation strategy does not appeal to me.
Old December 25, 2021, 04:37 PM   #29
stinkeypete

When the NFA was enacted, people got to keep their tommy guns. They just needed to transfer them to people that had the tax stamp if they wanted to sell or give them away.

If your “arm brace” is determined to be a “crappy buttstock” then you must take it off and enjoy your ar pistol. Or, you can install a longer barrel and make it a rifle with a crappy buttstock. Heck, may as well put a decent buttstock on it.

I’m an old man. To me, if it looks like a SBR, don’t be surprised if some calls you on rule breaking. If it looks like a sawed off shotgun, it’s likely you might someday get called on it, too. Everyone knows these items are following loopholes. No one is coming to take ‘em, they just have to follow new regulations.

I was an NRA member. Our skeet club was appropriated as a town expanded an airport. Under the law as I understand it, the town was supposed to assist us in finding land to replace the facility. I called the NRA to help us. No. They don’t have lawyers to help 300 members with their range. Do I want to re-up my membership, while I’m on the phone? Uh…. No.
Old December 26, 2021, 12:56 PM   #30
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbclarkson View Post
Total bans and forced confiscations are such an extremely unlikely scenario. I shake my head and roll my eyes at the fictional, dystopian unarmed future society created by the NRA marketing department.
As I said above, the NRA does paint a worst case scenario at times, but magazines over 10 rounds have ALREADY been banned in California, including magazines that were formerly grandfathered. This is just a trial balloon for banning "assault weapons". Count on it.

And recall the wild cheers of the crowd at the Democratic debates in 2020 when Beto O'Rourke said:

Old December 26, 2021, 03:48 PM   #31
zeke

"When the NFA was enacted, people got to keep their tommy guns. They just needed to transfer them to people that had the tax stamp if they wanted to sell or give them away."

Ahh so what is the jail term for possession of unregistered mg now? Gotta believe there are a lot of places where they will more than bust down your door and arrest you for having an unregistered mg. And things have changed quite a bit since then. The point wasn't what a person could do to make a firearm compliant with a new law or interpretation of a law, but what the law could do to make you compliant.

Last edited by zeke; December 26, 2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old December 29, 2021, 10:45 AM   #32
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
As I said above, the NRA does paint a worst case scenario at times, but magazines over 10 rounds have ALREADY been banned in California, including magazines that were formerly grandfathered. This is just a trial balloon for banning "assault weapons". Count on it.

And recall the wild cheers of the crowd at the Democratic debates in 2020 when Beto O'Rourke said:

Some people just don't get it.