The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2021, 10:54 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Foggy Scope

I have a BSA Mil Dot, 6 - 24 X 40.

I was recently in colder weather shooting. The scope was very foggy. Upon returning home to warmer temperatures, the scope is perfectly clear. A friend says it probably because the "O" ring sealing the adjustable eye piece is defective or out of place. I believe he is right because I see the lose ring between the front of the eye piece and the lock ring. I think the ring belongs under the eye piece.

My question is.

Is this scope toast or can the gas be replaced and the ring put back where it belongs?
Old January 3, 2021, 11:53 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

um... what gas? I think I found the scope, its listed as waterproof, and fog proof but does not say anything about being nitrogen purged. I would contact BSA and submit a warranty request based on the fogging.
Old January 3, 2021, 11:54 PM   #3
jmr40

You might try contacting BSA to see about returning the scope to them. I have no idea what their customer service is like. They may repair or replace it. Or they may tell you it's toast. Doesn't hurt to ask. But this isn't a DIY repair project.

Winston Churchill
Old January 4, 2021, 08:22 AM   #4
Doyle

When it comes to scopes, BSA stands for Been Suckered Again. Do yourself a favor and replace it with a quality scope.
Old January 4, 2021, 03:01 PM   #5
Bucksnort1

Doyle,

I agree with replacing the scope which is what I will likely do.

I know it's an entry level scope; however, you could be a bit more tactful about how you reply. What if it was the only scope I could afford or maybe my WWII veteran father gave it to me just before he died. Don't insult peoples' choices if you don't agree with them. I'm sure you know what people say about opinions.

I bought the .223 Stevens rifle with the scope.

It might be worth the effort to contact BSA.
Old January 4, 2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Pahoo

They can be refilled

Quote:
Is this scope toast or can the gas be replaced and the ring put back where it belongs?
Not toast and can be refilled/purged, with nitrogen and it doesn't take much effort. I use to refill older weaver.....

Not to step on anyone's toes but BSA's may not be worth the time. I have seen new ones get foggy. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 4, 2021, 10:44 PM   #7
Bucksnort1

Pahoo and Doyle,

Feelings on this end are not damaged. As I said, I wanted a bolt action 223 rifle. There were two identical guns on consignment at Green Mountains Guns in Denver, CO. One had a scope and the other didn't. Both were same price.
Badda Bing, Badda Boom.

I think you are right about not being worth they time. I have since mounted another decent scope. Heck, it works well in warmer weather.
Old January 5, 2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Doyle

I'm glad you got a new scope. I didn't want to hurt your feelings but I have zero respect for companies that take good money and refuse to produce a a usable product. In scopes, BSA is that kind of company.
Old January 5, 2021, 01:22 PM   #9
Bucksnort1

Roger that Doyle. It's all good. Thanks.