The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Duke of Lawn Chair

Best BUIS for my AR10

I have an AR10 that has the Midwest industries BUIS on it. Just for grins the other day I flipped the rear aperture to long range and the point of impact moved up about four inches at 100 yards, which it should, but it also moved five inches to the right, not so good. Also I have the front sight post screwed down to the stop to get it to zero and it shoots POA-POI at 50 yards.

Anyway I'm looking at the following for a replacement rear;
1. MaTech Mil-Spec Back-up Iron Sight (B.U.I.S)
2. Gg&G Mad Flipup Rear W/Ranging
3. Griffin Armament M2 Flip Up Sight Set / Kit

The first two have elevation adjustment on the rear a well as windage.

Anyone out there have real hands on experience?

Last edited by Duke of Lawn Chair; January 11, 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old January 11, 2018, 12:05 PM   #2
marine6680

For BUIS... I go simple as better... It's a BUIS, it's not a primary sight.

I like the Magpul MBUS Pro sights, as they are slim, take up little room, and do not obstruct the charging handle.

On my ARs, I zero the BUIS for 50yds, provides a useful dead hold out to 250yds, and is useful with holdovers out to 400yds if need be.

For a 308... It would be different though, not sure a good basic trajectory that would work
Old January 11, 2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Duke of Lawn Chair

I have my come ups for 168 and 175 GMM or my home grown counterfeit version anyway, so that's not much of an issue. The right shift going to the long range aperture disappoints me. The MaTech uses a cam to raise the rear sight so there shouldn't be much of a lateral shift, if any. The GG&G uses a rolling disk with apertures that get progressively smaller and higher on the disk, again it would seem lateral shift would be minimized. This Midwest Industries I think they just got one or the other hole to far left or right relative to the other. The aperture is threaded and rides along a screw for adjustment and switching it from one to the other position moves it on that screw so there is some shift inherent, but not no stinking five MOA.
Old January 11, 2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

My philosophy for BUIS is that I would rather have a same plane iron sight with a 200m zero and know my holdover for 300m. Past that, just acquiring and identifying a target - even a stationary, high contrast one on a nicely mown range is iffy for me. So I don’t really need a giant elevation change when I flip to a small aperture.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:13 PM   #5
Duke of Lawn Chair

I hear you Bart. I use this rifle for hunting and there aren't many places in this UP woods where you can see beyond a 150 yards. 50 to 60 is more the norm. I have a AimPoint CompM4S red dot on it and a 3X magnifier to flip over or out as conditions warrant. But it's kind of like buying a pocket knife with two blades though. One you can open up and use and the other is stuck closed and worth less. I want to get rid of it and get something that works as designed.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:22 PM   #6
marine6680

If you are hunting with irons, I can see the need for the sight to be consistent.