The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 28, 2012, 10:42 AM   #26
Yung.gunr

I also have the Maglite with the LED adapter thing. I really like it. I had the light for 10+ years before finding the LED thing, it has given my little Maglite new life...
But... I don't think that would work for you as you are looking for a 1" one. I have heard a lot of good things about the Fenix brand.. My cousin has a couple and they work better then any of mine. But then again his two cost more then my eight or so lights. But, Im sure that's still cheaper then a Surefire.

There is also a guy on here who makes flashlights. Did you check him out?
Here is the thread about him selling them...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074
If that doesn't work, when I found it he was at the bottom of the first page in the gear for sale area.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:01 AM   #27
Nathan

Nightcore and Fenix for me....
Old January 28, 2012, 02:25 PM   #28
Te Anau

Thanks for all the good replies.
Old February 9, 2012, 11:48 PM   #29
Patriot_RAM

Another good light

Te_Anau,

I wanted to mention one more light. It's rated at 100 lumens, but I swear it has to be more. I use Duracell Procell batteries in it and they last a long time also. Anyhow, I liked it well enough that I wrote a review. Just another one to consider.

http://frugalhomesteaders.net/blog/2...shlightreview/

Patriot_RAM
Old February 10, 2012, 02:35 PM   #30
Rj1972

Ok I'm a little late to the party perhaps, but you can see some pretty decent reviews (and others opinions) on candlepower forums: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

It's where I found reviews on my fenix pd20 (which I love).
Old February 10, 2012, 03:30 PM   #31
Te Anau

Thanks again.
Old February 11, 2012, 11:35 PM   #32
wun_8_seven

Terralux
Old February 12, 2012, 12:08 PM   #33
GM1967

Surefire, Streamlight, and Inova

My Surefire 6P is great, but very expensive, short battery life, expensive batteries

My Inova XO3 is almost as good as the Surefire, uses an extremely bright LED bulb that is almost as bright and is far more energy efficient, so the batteries (same type as Surefire) last a lot longer (I haven't had to change them yet).
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_xo3.htm

I also have an Inova X5, not as bright and shorter ranged, but small and handy, carry it in my pocket more often. I've changed the batteries once or twice since I bought it back in 2004

For general use, I can't recommend the Streamlight 3C LED enough. Ten LED bulbs light up a room very well, and it uses standard C-cell batteries (cheap and available almost everywhere, including your kitchen junk drawer). Battery life is 300 hours plus....I change the batteries in my two flashlights every couple years, and use them lots. However, it's a larger flashlight, not quite as big as a 3 battery Mag-Lite, but too big for mounting on a firearm.
http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-33...9066397&sr=8-2

All of these have been very reliable, and very good. Also have lots of cheap flashlights around the house, but the ones listed above are the ones I depend on most of the time.
Old February 12, 2012, 08:52 PM   #34
AdamSean

+1 on Surefire. I have a G2 and a 6P LED. They both work great. I have been using them for over 2 years and they are still great lights. I am in security and highly recommend Surefire.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:30 PM   #35
plumbercrack

I'm curious, for hand or gun use, or both? When it comes to a good all around flashlight I have to go with my Porter Cable 18v as it turns night into day.
When it comes to something for the AR I like the Streamlite model 62910 as it has a strobe function.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:24 PM   #36
mssurrey

+1 For Fenix
Old February 15, 2012, 03:42 PM   #37
orangello

I'm not an owner of one, so i am not sure of the quality, but there is one on sale for under $40 on that woot.sellout site, a s&w micron 90. Perhaps somebody else could review its quality.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:24 PM   #38
bbqbob51

I need to know more about lumens, how bright is 100 lumens for instance? When my AA mini Maglite was new how many lumens did it put out?
Old February 19, 2012, 11:53 AM   #39
JLTOOLMAKER

Hi Guys, I am looking for a quality bright flashlight to mount on a rifle, handgun or carry in my pocket with a momentary contact switch and only a high beam and strobe beam, any help out their?. Thanks Much, being a newbie, I will need help, I have not been able to find one as of yet and I have done a lot of internet searching...... Jim L.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:04 PM   #40
Aaron1100us

Surefire, Solarforce, Fenix, Streamlight are all good. Many others out there that are good, just do some research.

My two main lights are a Fenix TK-45, Solarforce L2P and Surefire G2.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
Old February 19, 2012, 12:07 PM   #41
GUNSITE

Fenix, i use the TK-40 when i need a serious light.
Old February 25, 2012, 08:35 PM   #42
Nathan

Quote:
I need to know more about lumens, how bright is 100 lumens for instance? When my AA mini Maglite was new how many lumens did it put out?
~20 based on my experience. Still, lumens vs. perceived brightness isn't really linear.

20 is good task lighting. 50 is quit a bit brighter. 150 is really bright. It hurts to look at. 500 will light up the yard well. 800 is really too bright for indoor use.

A TK35 is the ultimate in flashlights! Reasonable size, but wow is 800 bright. Ask my neighbor. You think a herd of cops have you lit up when someone shines that on you!
Old February 25, 2012, 08:50 PM   #43
OEF-Vet

Inova X5

Inova X5 hands down best general purpose flashlight ever.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/inova-x5...FUJN4AodiAMgrA
If you just need a flashlight that is bright enough for every day situations and is good on batteries this is your light. It's small works when needed and the last time I had to put batteries in it was 10 months ago.

I love the Surefire line and they are my tactical choice when needed but they eat batteries like mad and the bulb life is short.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old March 1, 2012, 09:18 PM   #44
kbails84

I've had them all!~

I think for a great price the new 5.11 series is a good buy. Also if you want try a coast L series. Those are amazing and last a very long time. Personally I hate surefire unless you're speaking of tactical weapon lights.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:54 AM   #45
swinokur

Insight Technology.

I try to buy Flashlights made in the USA, even if they are pricier.
Old March 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #46
pgdion

Maglight with this bulb

Just bought one of these to try in a Maglite .... amazing, a product that actually works as advertised! I'm buying more of them. They are Nite-Ize LED bulbs for flashlights. The same bulb works in all C & D cell flashlights with 2 to 6 cells. The bulbs actually have a DC-DC converter built in so the light is equally bright with all combinations (the 2 cell is slightly dimmer than the 4 cell is but not much). I did some performance tests that I'll post later (data is at home) but bottom line is for 8 bucks, I really like these bulbs.

Brighter than the Krypton, use a lot less current, and still focus from wide to spot.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pro...-kit-lrb-07-pr

Maglites are easily the best lights ever and these bulbs bring the old ones up to the new high power LED level. Very cool.
Old March 2, 2012, 11:58 AM   #47
sdg

Quote:
I try to buy Flashlights made in the USA, even if they are pricier.
Amen! I try to buy American made any time I can. There are a handful of really good flashlight manufacturers in the U.S.

Surefire, Streamlight, Mag and a few others.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:19 PM   #48
toolguy2006

I sell tons of flashlights to mechanics through my store, and if anyone can abuse a flashlight, its a mechanic. Streamlight for rechargeable, or Surefire if you don't mind buying CR123A batteries. The Surefire product is arguably better made.

Streamlight Strion LED flashlights have been best sellers from my store, (a tool truck) and all routes around me, since the LED model came out. Everyone cries about the price, until they own one, and then they usually come back for another!
Old March 6, 2012, 07:11 AM   #49
1goodshot

I use these hard everyday. never had a problem
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/
Old March 6, 2012, 10:36 PM   #50
carp

I bought a kill light. Its from elusive wildlife. Its called a kill light 250. I use it for night hunting coyotes. It came with a bracket for my rifle and one for a shot gun barrel. It also came with two switches for on and off. You can recharge the batteries. Its new but so far so good. Good price too.