The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2018, 12:06 AM   #1
jski

RCBS Uniflow Powder Baffle for small weights ?

Will the RCBS Uniflow Powder Baffle help, along with the small cylinder, to get more consistent measures for weights < 10 gr.?
Old February 19, 2018, 01:10 AM   #2
at2000

It made a big difference for me.
Old February 19, 2018, 07:45 AM   #3
USSR

jski,

Definitely get the small cylinder for handgun. I use both cylinders in the reloading course I teach: small for handgun and large for rifle. Not all that hard to swap them out. While the baffle is nice, if you top up your hopper occasionally to maintain the amount of downward powder pressure, you can get away without it. Hope that helps.

Don
Old February 19, 2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Rifletom

The baffle does help, but, the small cylinder works better. I "discovered" this about a month ago. Never to late to learn.
Old February 19, 2018, 12:55 PM   #5
shootbrownelk

If loading small charges for handguns I use an RCBS "Little Dandy" measure. They work great.
Old February 19, 2018, 01:14 PM   #6
brasscollector

I found a large diameter fender washer that fit in the hopper works just fine. I cut one out from thin stainless and bent it about 45 degrees for the large rotor and that works just as well but took more doing to get it right.
Old February 19, 2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Bayou

Concur that the small volume cylinder + a full hopper of powder enables more consistent throws of smaller amounts of powder out of the Uniflow...

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old February 19, 2018, 02:27 PM   #8
mkl

I posted the following in an earlier thread:

Quote:
I use the small chamber and a baffle along with the "double tap"method on the handle. Double tap means raise the handle up and tap firmly on the upstroke. Lower handle about 1/3 of the way and then up again firmly. Then drop the handle all the way down firmly to dispense powder. Raise handle 1/3 of the way and then down again firmly to shake out any grains that may be stuck in the dispenser chamber.
I believe that you will find much better consistency using the small chamber, a baffel, and the "double tap" method when dropping small charges.
Old February 19, 2018, 04:27 PM   #9
jski

shootbrownelk. looked at this but couldn't find a rotor for True Blue, my new favorite "universal" powder. Although, there are rotors for TiteGroup and H110, which I also use.
Old February 19, 2018, 04:44 PM   #10
mkl

Quote:
shootbrownelk. looked at this but couldn't find a rotor for True Blue, my new favorite "universal" powder. Although, there are rotors for TiteGroup and H110, which I also use.
Why use a fixed volume chamber when the Uniflow will give you any volume you wish of any powder you wish and still maintain 1/10 grain or better of accuracy if you use it correctly?

Most weight accuracy problems come from not settling the powder uniformly in the dispenser chamber. The Uniflow will do that quite well if you use a baffle, small cylinder, and double tap on both the up and down strokes.
Old February 19, 2018, 05:19 PM   #11
jski

MKL, I'm getting 0.2 gr. variations on consecutive throws and I'm using the small cylinder with True Blue powder.
Old February 19, 2018, 06:53 PM   #12
mkl

Quote:
MKL, I'm getting 0.2 gr. variations on consecutive throws and I'm using the small cylinder with True Blue powder.
Well, I don't know what to tell you other than maybe to "tap" thee times on the up and down stroke to better settle the powder. Some reloaders have gone so far as to attach a vibrator to the Uniflow hopper. You can check some of the old threads in here.

My Uniflow is around 20 years old and I have no problem keeping within +/- a tenth of a grain with Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, H110, WSF, and similar powders.

I have never tried True Blue, so I cannot comment on that one. Your problem sure sounds like powder not settling uniformly in the Uniflow small chamber.

Granted I cannot get that accuracy with the larger stick powders such as 4831 or others I load for rifles, but I've never had a problem with the finer grain pistol powders.

Maybe NickCS will chime in with another suggestion. He loads a ton of pistol powders in a RCBS Uniflow.

Best wishes & best of luck (I know it's frustrating, but one can say that about most of our "fine tuning"reloading issues ).
Old February 19, 2018, 07:09 PM   #13
USSR

Quote:
I'm getting 0.2 gr. variations on consecutive throws and I'm using the small cylinder with True Blue powder.
True Blue, being a new powder, I'm not familiar with it. Are there any "hitches" when you flip the handle up or down? If there is as there is with many extruded rifle powders, that would explain the variations. If not, try reversing the cylinder. If it's dropping the powder on the down stroke, set it so it drops on the up stroke. Also, if you don't have any graphite, go to an automotive supply store to get some, and spray the dry graphite on the cylinder. Hope that helps.

Don
Old February 19, 2018, 08:06 PM   #14
Average Joe

Small cylinder works better for small loads, I also use the baffle, whether the baffle works or not, I can't really say, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
Old February 20, 2018, 03:42 AM   #15
jski

True Blue is a very fine grain ball powder. Although relatively new, it has a reputation for being an excellent powder to meter.
Old February 20, 2018, 07:30 AM   #16
USSR

Yeah, if it's a ball powder it will meter fine. Try reversing the cylinder.

Don