The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 18, 2017, 08:22 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 19, 2017, 09:27 PM   #27
MosinNOUGAT

where can I get one of those for cheap without entering an auction? I really like these!

Thanks!
Old April 20, 2017, 03:02 PM   #28
johnm1

I bought both of mine at a local gun store. The first one in 30 REM for a decent price (though I don't remember what it was now) and this one for a steal @ $329. The auctions have them going for $400 and up. And I mean UP depending on condition and the strength of the narcotics the seller is currently on.

I find that despite that most gun stores over price things, every once and a while you find a bargain. That was the case with this one. I'm not sure there is really a premium in the market for guns in .35 REM. But I think it is worth it. 25, 30, and 32 REM have all been discontinued. 30 REM can be found from time to time. But in the couple of years I had my 30 REM, I was never able to find it on the internet. 25 and 32 REM are, for all intents and purposes, a hand loading proposition. I hand load and had the brass for the 30 REM. I just never got around to loading it.

Now the Remington Core-Lokt 200 Grain .35 Rem hits you like Thor's Hammer. And I assume for now that it has the terminal ballistics to match. And if the cartridge wasn't designed for this specific firearm it might as well have been. So far they just seem to go together. I reload but may never load for this one because the exact round I plan to use is readily available at Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabellas. Something will have to happen for me to look for something other than the factory 200 grain cartridge.

Now, I have heard (on the internet, so it HAS to be true) that the new Hornady Leverevolution should not be fired in an action this old. I don't need to hot rod this gun, but another 300 fps in a more aerodynamic shape sounds intriguing. Of course that is kind of contradictory for a medium bore that is really based on a big bullet going a moderate speed but hitting hard in the range it was intended.

The draw for the .30 REM is the number of available projectiles available in .308 for hand loading. That would have been a fun load development from light to heavy with the only restriction being the function of the action.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:41 PM   #29
bamaranger

history

I like those old auto's too. I've had a number of them in my hands, but never committed to buying one. In addtion to the sporting history, and the Browning design, the rifle had a history with LE as well.

During their peak, there was an outfit that would craft an extended box onto the rifle, increasing capacity accordingly. The rifle may well have been involved in the Bonnie and Clyde ambush as well, maybe two of them, but the facts on that shoot are frequently debated.

Neat old rifles, congrats.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:41 PM   #30
johnm1

The specs say they weigh 8 pounds but they seem to carry heavier for me. In 35 it is somewhat obnoxious to shoot from the bench. Any position where you aren't fixed in position is fine. The .30 REM wasn't nearly as punishing from the bench. I could not get my .30 to grounp well though. I'm pretty sure my eyes had something to do with that. That and all I ever shot through it was vintage ammo from the 60's.

I'm tickled to death with this rifle especially for the price. It isn't perfect. But neither am I. Just ask my kids.