The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 11:30 PM   #1
52 Monster Stack

Anyone dislike the trigger pull on the bg

My friend bought a bg and fired it for the first time today.His first words were "I don't like the tigger it's fighting me'.I own a sig p238 and fired his bg and he was right the pull was long as day.We fired it and he just said this is not a fun gun to shot and was thinking of a trigger job.Also the slide failed the second time of firing of the firearm "12th bullet" the slide failed to open this happened 3 more times.Any one else have these issue.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Nanuk

BG?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:43 AM   #3
spdracr39

If your referring to a .380 bodyguard I have two and I agree the trigger pull is long and relatively stiff. Having said that both of mine have never failed to shoot flawlessly. Be sure to give all new guns a thorough cleaning before shooting. The long trigger is something you will get used to. Keep in mind also that when comparing to the Sig p238 you are not only talking about a pistol that costs over twice as much but it is a Single action only and the BG is double action only.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
ScotchMan

The Bodyguard has a lot of compromises. It's size and chambering being the most obvious ones. The trigger is long and heavy so you can carry it in your pocket without the safety engaged. The popular LCP has a similar trigger; that is just par for the course in pocket .380s.

The Sig is an interesting beast, it has a great trigger, but I'd be nervous about carrying something condition one in my pocket, even with a holster.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old March 18, 2013, 08:54 AM   #5
52 Monster Stack

deleted

Last edited by 52 Monster Stack; March 18, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
52 Monster Stack

Yes i"m talking about the bodyguard.Speedracer39 do u think a cleaning would help the slide situation.Again this isn't my firearm and my friend isn't the type to fieldstrip his firearm he has to left hands.Scotch u can carry it half cock.But this opens up a whole new discussion.Thank u for the replies i'll wait for some more replies and let my friend know.Maybe he;ll let me fieldstrip his bg.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
do u think a cleaning would help the slide situation.
Yes it could, guns that ship new from the factory are often loaded with packing grease. It is thick and sticky and the only purpose it serves is for corrosion resistance. When I get a new gun I go over the entire internals of the pistol with a toothbrush and either Hoppes 9 or Rem Oil, once cleaned I lube up the gun and reassemble.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
ScotchMan

If your friend is incapable or unwilling to learn how to field strip the weapon he trusts his life to, the trigger pull is way low on his list of problems.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old March 18, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9
spdracr39

He needs to learn to take down and clean his pistol. It is very easy and is also very necessary to ensure proper operation. Would you drive your car and never change the oil then expect it to perform properly.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:28 AM   #10
52 Monster Stack

Yes just kidding he rather send it out plus it's not his only firearm.I know it's easy i'll try to teach him.He is just one of those guys that's not mechanicly inclined and is scared he will do more damage than good.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
ScotchMan

He sends it out to be cleaned? Seriously?

If I had enough money to send out my carry gun to get cleaned, I would probably just hire a bodyguard and let them worry about the gun.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old March 19, 2013, 08:35 AM   #12
dayman

If he's "sending them out" you should see if he'll give you whatever he's paying the other guy. I'm usually happy to clean a buddies gun for free, so getting some cash seems like it would be pretty sweet.

That being said, the trigger on the BG is - like every pocket auto - pretty bad. Some people pride themselves on their ability to make long shots with pocket autos, but they're not really designed for precision work, and the trigger's are generally good enough for COM at 7yds but not much else.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:15 AM   #13
wyobohunter

Anyone dislike the trigger pull on the bg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
He sends it out to be cleaned? Seriously?

If I had enough money to send out my carry gun to get cleaned, I would probably just hire a bodyguard and let them worry about the gun.
:-) I was thinking the same thing. Another reason to clean a new gun is the potential for ringing your barrel if it has lube in it. At a minimum you should runs patches until they come out dry before you fire it for the first time.

Last edited by wyobohunter; March 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:56 PM   #14
52 Monster Stack

I spoke to my friend and stand corrected.He sends a patch down the barrel and wipes the inside down but doesn;t strip his firearm down.